What Did You Buy Today?

When I started looking for inspection stuff after getting the surface plate, I came across the Hermann Schmidt surface gage.

1678382360959.png

Clearly a very nice tool that would outlast me. Everything they make is of the highest quality. More searching for a good deal and I discovered this was actually made by Murkens Precision Tool. They sell direct for a significantly lower price. I sent an email, and they quickly answered my questions. If I understand correctly, Dave Jr. is making these. UPS just dropped this off:

1678382382446.png

1678382546908.png

Really nice tool that will be a pleasure every time I use it.

When I started looking for inspection stuff after getting the surface plate, I came across the Hermann Schmidt surface gage.

View attachment 440382

Clearly a very nice tool that would outlast me. Everything they make is of the highest quality. More searching for a good deal and I discovered this was actually made by Murkens Precision Tool. They sell direct for a significantly lower price. I sent an email, and they quickly answered my questions. If I understand correctly, Dave Jr. is making these. UPS just dropped this off:

View attachment 440383

View attachment 440384

Really nice tool that will be a pleasure every time I use it.
but notice the rod is 0.554... WTH

I don't know. I bought their longer rod as well. I have machine tools. I can make longer if I need to. Is there a time where you would move rods between surface gages? I have the typical Starrett as well that could be used if that's needed.

Last edited:
Other than the base, how is this any better than the typical $10 indicator holder from Amazon?
This is akin to "how is a Mercedes any better than a Kia?" I work with my hands. I make tools for others to use. I take pride in what I do and make. I appreciate the same. Said another way.. if you have to ask..

It's a 1/2" rod, that doesn't even need to be particularly straight, holding a 1/4" or 3/8" that could have a visible curve to it. Other than holding the rods steady and not moving as you tighten the screws, I do in fact have to ask, "Where does the 'precision' come in?"
It is nothing like a Mercedes or Kia. Those things have actual tight tolerances to maintain for them to achieve their purpose.

Interestingly enough, this thread isn't about interrogating the buyer of a given thing. It's about sharing what we bought today. I'm happy with the Murkens indicator base. Sounds like you'll be happy with your bottom dollar amazon setup. Cheers.

It's definitely a beautiful base. I can not afford to add that to my arsenal of tools. It's expensive, and above my level of work. Would I like it, yea..
I understand. What I don't understand is why they make the rod an off size. I read on their site that the Mitutoyo is 0.558, so the diff in size does not make sense to me.

Enjoy your new tool. I'll wipe the saliva from my mouth :big grin:now.

Back