What Did You Buy Today?

I decided to break down and buy the "Engineers Black Book". I've been eyeing it for a while. I'm glad I did. Much more concise and easier to look up things compared to "Machinery's Handbook".

IMG_6414.jpg

This page on gears is what I needed to help me determine the cutting depth. I have some books like "Gears & Gear Cutting" which shows the cutting depth as 2.157/DP. This only true for 14.5 degree pressure angle. I'm using 20 degree pressure angle which has a cutting depth of 2.25/DP.
IMG_6416.jpg

That book is my go to reference for all sorts of info. There are tab stickers that make it even easier to find stuff. It’s great for insert tooling info and translating between US and ISO naming.

The latest addition to the shop is a Kalamazoo 1SM 1"x 42" belt sander. I found 2 of them at a local used machine dealer, and decided one of them needed a new home. I didn't purchase it today, but rather last Thursday. It needed a few parts like a belt platen, worktable, new power cord, and safety cover for the on/off switch. I made the necessary parts out of scrap lying around and ordered a few belts while I was making the parts. I did use it for the first time today to touch up a couple HSS lathe tools.

I mounted it on an 18" long piece of 7" channel just to give it some stability. At only about 30 lbs. you'll be chasing it across the bench if it isn't mounted to something fairly heavy. Time will tell if I'll need to bolt the whole assembly to a bench.

This is Kalamazoo's low-end belt sander with only a 1/3hp 120/240 single phase 1725 rpm motor. It does have more than enough power to sharpen lathe tooling and other small tools. When I looked it up online, I was a bit surprised as to how wide the price range is across the country. Here in the Midwest, they usually sell new for about $400.00 plus shipping. Places on either coast are asking as much as $600.00 plus shipping for the same machine.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 28
I needed to pick up a new cart with shelves for work today as my Snap On is showing its age . Went to HF and got a 3 shelved 30" x 16" for $63.00 . I figured it was pretty much a piece of junk , and after bringing it home , I confirmed just that . :big grin: Oh well , it only has to last a few months before being retired to the garage for light duty .

So as it turns out , the cart itself wasn't bad , but the CHEAP HARDWARE ? :rolleyes:
Tell me about it: sub-size heads on metric bolts so if you want to modify something that has molded-in sockets you’ll have to rework everything. Plus low grade iron, not steel.

Tell me about it: sub-size heads on metric bolts so if you want to modify something that has molded-in sockets you’ll have to rework everything. Plus low grade iron, not steel.
And sized as if it was Grade 8.

got some drive screws to remove. No access from the back, all my usual tricks don't work. So lets give this a try:

View attachment 440136

That's the last ditch effort before drilling them out to save the data plates.......
I have several sizes & configurations of these pliers. I purchased the first ones from iFixit and used them to remove an M2 screw that had been butchered by someone else on a used MacBook Air" made a believer out of me.

I've been keeping my eyes open for either a set-tru chuck or a combination chuck... watching all the usual places...

I was browsing HGR and found a "10 inch 3 jaw chuck"... with no brand listed. It was obviously a set-tru type chuck... priced at $179.00... so I bought it.

20230307_093344.jpg

20230307_093402.jpg

20230307_093350.jpg

It was in their warehouse in Birmingham, Alabama. I drove over and picked it up, while I was there, I also picked up an L-1 dog drive plate for $18.00...

20230307_092605.jpg

20230307_092614.jpg

-Bear

Back