What Did You Buy Today?

An order arrived today for a 30 gal. 200 psi ASME intermediate receiver, made in sunny So Cal. This one is going to be wall mounted vertically as high up as I can get it. Between the chiller, filters, piping, and fittings, building a 100% USA made semi-commercial air system has been an expensive endeavor.
PXL_20230601_192254841.jpg

An order arrived today for a 30 gal. 200 psi ASME intermediate receiver, made in sunny So Cal. This one is going to be wall mounted vertically as high up as I can get it. Between the chiller, filters, piping, and fittings, building a 100% USA made semi-commercial air system has been an expensive endeavor.
I'm curious about your rationale for the bold statement. I'm guessing that the chiller will be at floor level and you want the maximum vertical rise between the two, but I'm not sure of the why. Please elucidate.

It's not nearly that complicated, I'm just trying to minimize the system's floor footprint. The chiller is going on a platform at 8' height above the compressor, and the intermediate tank will be alongside that. It doesn't matter where things go, each component has a drain.

Ordered the MLA-18 Filing Machine casting kit with bronze bearing material, hardware and the MLA-8 Indicator/Saddle Stop from Metal Lathe Accessories!!!

The MLA-18 was finally back in stock. Another machine that I do not need but I just find it so beautiful to look at... Would be a challenging project for me, for sure... but I so wanted to have one in my garage...
Years ago, I made the MLA-21 collet chuck. It was a fun project and turned out well. It was originally referred to as the "Pat Loop Collet Chuck" in that it was copied after one made by Pat Loop and published in the Home Shop Machinist magazine. The original was made from mild steel stock, while the MLA copy was made from castings. I see the kit is no longer available. I'm guessing the rise in prices for cast iron, and the process of casting put the kit out of reach for most hobbyists. If I remember correctly the kit was about $130.00 plus shipping in 2012.

Here are the plans for the original Pat Loop Collet Chuck as published in the Home Shop Machinist.

Attachments

• Pat Loop collet_chuck.pdf
    917.1 KB · Views: 23
Ordered the MLA-18 Filing Machine casting kit with bronze bearing material, hardware and the MLA-8 Indicator/Saddle Stop from Metal Lathe Accessories!!!

The MLA-18 was finally back in stock. Another machine that I do not need but I just find it so beautiful to look at... Would be a challenging project for me, for sure... but I so wanted to have one in my garage...
Is that the one that Blondihacks recently built?

I'm curious about your rationale for the bold statement. I'm guessing that the chiller will be at floor level and you want the maximum vertical rise between the two...
It's harder to bang your shin on something above your head on the wall! Although, I did bump my shin on my garage door support the other day, so still possible, but you need to work at it! :)

t's harder to bang your shin on something above your head on the wall! Although, I did bump my shin on my garage door support the other day, so still possible, but you need to work at it! :)
My shins have so many scars they look like they've been thru wars . My two newest scabs are from the log splitter . :mad:

Is that the one that Blondihacks recently built?
Yes!!

Years ago, I made the MLA-21 collet chuck. It was a fun project and turned out well. It was originally referred to as the "Pat Loop Collet Chuck" in that it was copied after one made by Pat Loop and published in the Home Shop Machinist magazine. The original was made from mild steel stock, while the MLA copy was made from castings. I see the kit is no longer available. I'm guessing the rise in prices for cast iron, and the process of casting put the kit out of reach for most hobbyists. If I remember correctly the kit was about $130.00 plus shipping in 2012.

Here are the plans for the original Pat Loop Collet Chuck as published in the Home Shop Machinist.

I saw a video from a forum member, @Ecosta777 , on this... I wanted one as well, but as you mentioned, it was no longer available.

Last edited:
Back