What Did You Buy Today?

I love my 251 with the spool gun, but I would really really like to move up to the 350P! Spool gun feeds fine and works great, but pulse is a game changer.

You say they're over 4k now? Sheeeee--t. I paid $1700 for mine new from Praxair on a small discount. Time has passed, but wow. Last year, I choked on the inflation when I bought my Spectrum 675 and Dynasty 280DX. Where's my time machine? Always forgetting where I left it last.

Yep, a new 252 is $4,300 and a Spoolmatic 30A is $2,000 now :eek: I'm not saying they're not worth it, but ouch...that's a pretty big chunk for anything but commercial uses.

Didn't buy, but liberated from an ignoble end, 50 feet of 3x3" 3/8" wall square tube in 10' sections with 3 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 1" plate welded to each end. Had to cut one end off just to see what I had. Was hoping they might be solid. They felt like they might be moving them. Not sure just where they will end up being used, but they will get used at some point. Mike

IMG_20230626_110124946_HDR.jpgIMG_20230626_110536380_HDR.jpg

More write off stuff from work today. 6”&12” digital calipers. Bit rough on the finish but passed calibration a few months ago. 3 more angle plates. A micrometer holder 2 protractors and the best thing a lift truck. 880 lb capacity.
96cc3a7ea454c1bc5b447afdc075d21c.jpg

cf58a33e13f8eb0cc5eb5a5b28c31591.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

I attended a swap meet at the local Steamup grounds Friday. One of the "booths" had a dually flatbed trailer filled with rusty detritus from a machine shop. The seller was helping a friend get rid of stuff left from a grandfather. One item was this Starrett No. 124 inside micrometer head. It wouldn't turn, and has light rust on the surface that the rod registers against. The contact nub on the other end also has light rust. He priced it at a dollar, which was quite reasonable in my thinking.

After I got it home, I tried to get the barrel to turn, and it yielded to hand pressure. I got it to unscrew, cleaned the hardened oil from the threads, and applied light oil. It now operates perfectly! I'll be using Metal Rescue to remove the rust. Once fully cleaned, I'll decide what to do with it. since I already have two inside micrometer sets, one idea is a micrometer carriage stop for my lathe.

20230623_230840 (2).jpg

The Starrett C316R came from another vendor and was also a buck.

Managed a total fluke bought a coupe of micrometers on Facebook marketplace and lo and behold they are both good mics. $20 for the Shardlow imperial one and $35 for the NSK Metric one. Gotta be happy with that. :>)
Turns out the Shardlow company made the crankshafts for the Rolls Royce Merlin Engines among many others.

Attachments

• Micrometers1.jpg
    Micrometers1.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 22
Back