What Did You Buy Today?

Um, you use plastic zip ties on aircraft wiring? Thats a big no-no for us as the plastic ties can cut into the insulation if too tight. I’ve been out of the job for a few years now, but we used to do all wiring bundles in waxed strings. Get caught using zip ties and you’d be looking for work elsewhere in pretty short order.
I don't know about Canada, but zip ties are permissible in the US. The FAA advisory circular 43.13-1b (revised in 1998) Acceptable methods techniques and practices says they may be used where temperatures do not exceed 120*C. I think there is even a chart on setting the tension on the cable tie gun. You're not supposed to use hardware store zip ties....MS17821 or MS17822 series zip ties are specifically referenced.

Also, every new aircraft I can recall seeing for at least 20 years has come from the factory with hundreds of zip ties...and very little (if any) waxed string. Bonded on pads specifically meant for use with zip ties are commonly used to secure whole wire bundles rather than the cushioned adel clamps you used to see. The tefzel insulation that is the standard now is pretty tough stuff. I think it would be difficult to cut with a wire tie.

I'll have to admit that I haven't personally used waxed string in many years....decades probably. Avionics techs might still use it.....

-Pete

Could you post a link please? I've been shopping these and I'd like to compare. Thanks!
I got the registration price. I assume it’s a 1 time thing to get new customers. Free shipping.

I use degreaser concentrate I get at Sam’s club. Supposed to be for commercial kitchen cleaning but works great in my little ultrasonic cleaner. please post a review after using this one for a while and let us know how it holds up. I’d like to get a larger one for sure.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

@Gaffer Thanks for the link. That's a good price. I'm always torn on what size to go with, worried I'll need a bigger one. I've been tempted by some ebay big ones but worried about quality and lack of warranty.

I don't know about Canada, but zip ties are permissible in the US. The FAA advisory circular 43.13-1b (revised in 1998) Acceptable methods techniques and practices says they may be used where temperatures do not exceed 120*C. I think there is even a chart on setting the tension on the cable tie gun. You're not supposed to use hardware store zip ties....MS17821 or MS17822 series zip ties are specifically referenced.

Also, every new aircraft I can recall seeing for at least 20 years has come from the factory with hundreds of zip ties...and very little (if any) waxed string. Bonded on pads specifically meant for use with zip ties are commonly used to secure whole wire bundles rather than the cushioned adel clamps you used to see. The tefzel insulation that is the standard now is pretty tough stuff. I think it would be difficult to cut with a wire tie.

I'll have to admit that I haven't personally used waxed string in many years....decades probably. Avionics techs might still use it.....

-Pete
I was military aviation so we might have been a few years behind commercial procedures. Military procedures typically lag behind commercial because, well….military.

If I had to guess, I’d say its as much driven by commercial aviations drive to cut costs as anything else.

Wax ties take a lot more labor time than a zip tie….

Last edited:
The Vevor ultrasonic cleaner arrived today. I was torn about which to buy after scouring the threads about them here. I opted for the Upgraded 15L. The quality of this unit from packaging to fit and finish was surprisingly good, nay, excellent. The owner's manual is fine, but I had a laugh at the poor translation from Chinese to English. After shopping all the main sites, Vevor had the best price delivered. I ran a couple of batches testing some of the suggestions. Dawn and water; Simple Green and water, and the same of each for small parts in zip lock bags. I wasn't too sure what to expect. It did a good job with oil and dirt but hardly touched grease. I'm pleased with it.
View attachment 439249
Be cautious with your mix if you’re going to do aluminum parts in it. Things like purple and simple green can etch aluminum and leave it with a dull gray finish.
Grease is particularly tough in an US cleaner and usually needs a more aggressive solvent to break it up.
US cleaners don’t actually need detergents or solvents to clean. They make micron sized bubbles in the water which then cavitate and that breaks up the contaminants on an object. Its why they do such a good job on things like carbs. They create the bubbles inside the passages which scour the surfaces. They get in places you normally can’t get to with normal means.
Detergents are most often required in order to hold the contaminanets in suspension (emulsifiers) so they can be carried away.
But sone contaminants, like grease, are a bit more difficult to scour, so you need the emulsifier to “give it a hand”…

I haven't bought any tools for some time. So had to brake the cycle and there was a machine shop auction that I had to pass on some nice items as there no place left in storage. Put a low bid on this DoAll gage block set on Ebay. It is missing a few blocks that I would like to find, but in pretty good shape. Has the DoAll plastic box.

Now I need to clean them up a bit.

DoAll Gage Block Set .jpg

-Pete
I have a club member who is rebuilding a Citabria, he is using the waxed string method. It looks so nice done that way. As far as zip ties cutting wires, I can't see that unless excessive tightness , but even then, not really. I assume the listed zip ties are well rounded on all edges to prevent that.

But I have no specific info, just think waxed string is so neat. Many old computers were wired that way too.

I use degreaser concentrate I get at Sam’s club. Supposed to be for commercial kitchen cleaning but works great in my little ultrasonic cleaner. please post a review after using this one for a while and let us know how it holds up. I’d like to get a larger one for sure.

Looks like "Simple Purple!"

Back