What Did You Buy Today?

It's a compressed air dryer. It refrigerates the air so the moisture condenses out and is removed before distro.

Most of these are a simple heat exchanger loop, but Zeks extracted more efficiency from the system by adding multiple loops in a 2-stage gradient plus a third loop with the thermal reservoir managed with a microcontroller. The power draw on this guy is incredibly low, and now that I've got my leaks tracked down (30 days with virtual zero pressure loss), I should be able to leave the compressor on power 24/7 without any consequence. Just using the power drawbar is worth the convenience of service air being always-on.

Actually, I have a lot of fastpipe to run before bragging about retaining pressure. But if I can plumb a leak free natural gas system in my house, I think it's possible to do the same for compressed air in my shop using airtight fitted pipe.

You can get leak free with a little work on a 175psi system. Much easier with natural gas, where you only have .5 psi. Did you go with the corogated stainless for your gas lines, or old school with black pipe? I Still have to get my air system installed in the new shop. Waiting until everything is pretty much where it's going to stay before putting the plumbing together, and running on hoses for now. Mike

For gas, black pipe, PTFE dope, and leak test. For air, I've got a good feeling about the Fastpipe rigid. I bought enough to run the whole shop early during COVID, so I got the old prices. The new prices suck. All of the new prices suck.

The delivery guys pulled a hat trick today. I got more loot!

The Henry Ford Trade School Shop Theory book was inspired by this very thread. Imagine that!

Got a good clean 1" C insert holder and a nice D type too. I'm getting there with the big stuff. Looking forward to making big chips out of bigger work under big power. Soon...

And finally, VXB came through with Nachi bearings and seals for the coolant pump on my Nardini. Everything is getting rebuilt on the lathe. Just a few weekends left on that project. I will organize a log when it's ready for you voyeurs.

PXL_20230313_233132463.jpg

and now that I've got my leaks tracked down (30 days with virtual zero pressure loss)

Got any advice on air system quick-connects that just don't sit there and ppppffffffttttt all that nicely compressed air away?

Thanks,
Brian

Got any advice on air system quick-connects that just don't sit there and ppppffffffttttt all that nicely compressed air away?

Thanks,
Brian

I did get the Milton connectors and posted about 6 months back. Milton has a china line now, those are decent and well priced. Their USA premium high flow stuff is amazing but not priced for anything short of compliance with a hard engineering specification.

Air filters in the system help prevent leaky ppppffftttts too.

I did get the Milton connectors and posted about 6 months back. Milton has a china line now, those are decent and well priced. Their USA premium high flow stuff is amazing but not priced for anything short of compliance with a hard engineering specification.

Air filters in the system help prevent leaky ppppffftttts too.

The quick-disconnects from McMaster have been good for me. The Chinese cheapies from HF and Tractor Supply have not.

Rick “but they all wear out eventually” Denney

Back