What Did You Buy Today?

I am up to a 1.75 in my welding helmet. Sucks getting old.
Yeah, there all sorts of stuff that is starting to happen as years pile on.

Started low. Just wading in slowly. Don't want to go too far yet! lol.

Yeah, there all sorts of stuff that is starting to happen as years pile on.

Started low. Just wading in slowly. Don't want to go too far yet! lol.

I put a cheater in my welding hood almost 2 years ahead of my switch to bifocals. It's a pretty nice modification whether you've crested the hill or not, so don't shame yourself out of a good tool!

The boxes are home ! Pulled something in my chest and can hardly breath . I'm taking a 12oz muscle relaxer before unloading . Edit ....................I may need a triple dose . ;)
If you are truly having trouble breathing, go to the emergency room to get checked out. It could be something more important than a pulled muscle. Scary stuff.

I'm at 3.0 on the cheaters. I blame it on the lens replacement I got due to cataracts. I was 20/450 before, and now 20/25, but my arms are too short now!

I used to just take off my glasses and bring things up close. I wear progressive glasses all the time, and kept doing it to avoid having to carry around reading glasses. I don't forget my safety glasses, either.

mmcmdl, listen to extropic. At our age, what seemed little when we were younger is probably trying to tell us something important now. I blew out a meniscus in my knee because I tried to "work through the pain."

Here's the baby . It's a small 27" x 17" . The blue Kennedy fits on top . The other is the behometh box with side box .

Attachments

• IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 11
I'm at 3.0 on the cheaters. I blame it on the lens replacement I got due to cataracts. I was 20/450 before, and now 20/25, but my arms are too short now!
Had LASIK over 10 years ago. Wish I would have done that sooner. No longer being nearsighted, I knew this was coming. Corrected vision is 20/10, which was better than I could have hoped for. Bow hunting, swimming with kids, everything was better without glasses.
What I gave up for that was vision from 0-8 inches from the face. Fair trade...

Now, it's just the eyes are getting older and less flexible. Changing focus from close up to distance is the issue. Eyestrain reading up close, and welding are more an issue than it used to be. Such is the way it goes.

Staying as low a magnification as possible, to keep more depth of field of view for now. But, I know it's coming.

Well, I was in my local (well, kinda, it's 30 mins drive away from the office) machinists Alladin's Cave last Thursday and spotted this drill press and rather fancied it. The chap who runs the place turned it on for me and it sounded pretty good. Quill travel felt smooth and the table was in surpisingly nice nick for its age (1988). No play on the spindle (MT2) as far as I could feel.

Me and the proprietor had a chat about price and after a bit of back and forth we reached agreement and I picked it up today.

20240313_201919.jpg

20240313_201936.jpg

20240313_202006.jpg

Only problem is the previous owner welded an extension on to the column and my bench is a bit higher than I thought. Going to have to lose a shelf and make a step to be able to reach the feed handles!

Still I won't have any trouble drilling holes in bigger things! :grin:

Can't find a manual for the thing though. Checked to see if lathes.co.uk had anything but they only had the little CH10.

The HEAVY SOB is now in the garage , didn't even need a shoe horn ! Slipped it thru the back door ! :grin: 44" with the flip up table on the left and the fold out bolt bin on the right .

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPG
    IMG_1092.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 21
Nah, drill press isn't going to fit.

I can fit it in a different place, if I shift my other, lighter duty workbench along 9" and get a 2' stand made for it (haven't yet begun any adventures in welding yet but I do know a chap).

Good thing about that is that I get the full heavier duty workbench space back, which will be nice and I don't have to lose any shelves (in fact, I can get another shelf in that wasn't possible due to the positioning of my old drill press).

I'll knock up a drawing for the stand tomorrow (40mm box section I'd guess) and see what extra that's going to cost me. I'm open to inspiration on that front if anybody wants to pitch in and post pictures of any similarstands they have. :)

Back