What Did You Buy Today?

Take a look @ the PM one. The one with the run true system. Mine is very nicely made and being able to put a gage pin in a collet and adjust to very good concentricity seems worth it. I got the PM set of 5C collets in 32nd steps and have used the gage pins to check many of them. Quite good especially for the price. The one catch with 5C is that 1/32" jumps are too much in the smaller diameters. I try to design to my collet set but have had to buy a few in 1/64" steps. I use this chuck far more than I had expected. Like being able to hold threaded work w/o damage. Holding round work up to 1 1/8" W/O using a 4 Jaw and all the time it takes me to center with it. When I've had multiple parts that needed to match, the use of the internal stop & the DRO makes it pretty easy, even for me. Being able to get square and hex collets is also very handy. The keyway in the collets ends just pain square. Using a needle file to put a bit of an entry taper makes them easier to slide onto the key. Have fun.
I looked last time you mention PM, but they don't list them any more and I need a threaded backing plate. The seller on Ebay offers one with the backing plate I need.
Thanks anyway.

I think I saw the same set of collets. I was an early bidder but it got too expensive for me.

I ended up buying a set from Accusize. Very nicely finished and they seem accurate so far as I have tried them.
I think they were ~$125 CDN on Amazon.
I looked, I don't see them listed by Accusize, saw some listed by Shars, 29pc for $135.

Well I just got it and I already got it stuck about 3 times but I got this bad boy to move the item I posted before.

In the money I’ve spent on rentals I’ve almost paid for this lift by now so I figured it was time to finally get one.

167f003595aee31c4f0dcc2b3026aef6.jpg

She looks small but she’s a heavy girl. A bit over 20klbs and can pick up about 15k

David R8.....

Very interesting.
Looks like you have it installed on a south bend, and it would be cheaper than a new chuck would be, correct?

Newbie question here, what is the advantage of a system like that and how is the collet secured in the adaptor.
It is a chuck! They range in price sort of like 3 jaw chucks, but the collets add more cost. The advantages: collets generally run truer than a 3 jaw chuck, You can take the work out and put it back or turn it around W/O losing as much concentricity as a 3 Jaw and taking a lot less time (unless you are Adam B) than a 4 Jaw. You can directly grip threads. By using an internal stop you can repeat length references using either your DRO or dials. There are no jaws spinning around to hit your hands. You can get square and hex collets. They don't damage softer things like brass, aluminum, most plastics. Especially nice for small work because you can hold a pretty short part (into the collet) and work really close to the face of the collet. Disadvantages: limited to 1 1/8" unless you use adapters of some sort. They make expanding collets so you can hold on the inside of work (rings.) 5C collets have limited holding ranges so you need quite a lot of them to cover everything from 1/16" or less to 1 1/8". "Emergency" collets are sold so you can machine them to special sizes.

There are multiple things that use collets besides the chuck: spin indexer, tool & cutter grinder are the things I have that use 5C. There are other collet systems available also. ER in assorted sizes, Deckel etc. Others can cover what I've missed.

There are a bunch of things I need more, but I just couldn't pass this up. 24 x 24 x 8" Starrett grade A surface plate on a cart with a current calibration and not a mark on it anywhere. It was at a local auction just 25 minutes away and the majority of the stuff was less than five years old. I've seen surface plates locally, but more often than not they're too big or priced ridiculously....this was $300, so not a steal, but seemed fair.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
There are a bunch of things I need more, but I just couldn't pass this up. 24 x 24 x 8" Starrett grade A surface plate on a cart with a current calibration and not a mark on it anywhere. It was at a local auction just 25 minutes away and the majority of the stuff was less than five years old. I've seen surface plates locally, but more often than not they're too big or priced ridiculously....this was $300, so not a steal, but seemed fair.

Good purchase. It's even labeled "SURFACE PLATE" so you'll not forget what it is. LOL

Back