What Did You Buy Today?

Ebay/India special, but a crappy RT is better than none at all and the price was ok.

I really don’t have a need for the dividers, but I figure its another process I can learn and if I ever DO need them I’ve got them...

I have a Grizzly version of that. It works well for the few times I want to do rotary stuff on the mill. I also have the dividing plates, but ended up getting a dividing head so I don't use them at the moment. They work the same way as the dividing head, which is pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it.

I would recommend opening it up for a good cleaning and lubrication job before use. I did find some cosmo or similar in there along with some chips and such. Seems like it's pretty common for import gear. Nothing too crazy, but might as well be sure.

If it didn't come with it, and you don't already have them, look into a small clamping kit. Maybe a screwless vise. You can't cut things you can't hold. :)

I have a Grizzly version of that. It works well for the few times I want to do rotary stuff on the mill. I also have the dividing plates, but ended up getting a dividing head so I don't use them at the moment. They work the same way as the dividing head, which is pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it.

I would recommend opening it up for a good cleaning and lubrication job before use. I did find some cosmo or similar in there along with some chips and such. Seems like it's pretty common for import gear. Nothing too crazy, but might as well be sure.

If it didn't come with it, and you don't already have them, look into a small clamping kit. Maybe a screwless vise. You can't cut things you can't hold. :)
Yep, I treat anything from china/india as a “kit”. First order of business is always a QA session and fixes/repairs if needed.

I acquired another old vise from a co-worker this morning... it's pretty interesting...

20221010_073807.jpg

20221010_073934.jpg

20221010_073953.jpg

There is no manufacturers name on it, but it has '1640 ILLIN' cast into the t-bar...

20221010_074018.jpg

...and 'R 37 14LB' on the moveable jaw...

20221010_074026.jpg

Other than that, all I know about it is that it is pretty old...

-Bear

There is no manufacturers name on it, but it has '1640 ILLIN' cast into the t-bar..
I couldn’t find anything really definitive on a maker either, but I did find quite a few similar vises out there. One, a “Sturdy” if indeed that’s supposed to mean the name of the company looks promising but I didn’t find anything other than the one ad. Good price, though! ;)

As for the 1640 ILLIN on the rail, I found another with the same but it extended a bit further with 1640 ILLINOIS USA so I’m wondering if yours might have been a shortened version or maybe chopped shorter later. Seems too coincidental to be anything other than the same maker.

-frank

1665419639846.png

1665419688064.png

1665419735081.png

"Combination drill, vise, anvil, and hardy" for the bargain price of $4.10, I bet that was a tempting purchase for many farmers. It's a very interesting tool.

Are we about to hit 1,000 pages of purchasing power, both premeditated and impulsive?

I couldn’t find anything really definitive on a maker either, but I did find quite a few similar vises out there. One, a “Sturdy” if indeed that’s supposed to mean the name of the company looks promising but I didn’t find anything other than the one ad. Good price, though! ;)

As for the 1640 ILLIN on the rail, I found another with the same but it extended a bit further with 1640 ILLINOIS USA so I’m wondering if yours might have been a shortened version or maybe chopped shorter later. Seems too coincidental to be anything other than the same maker.

-frank

View attachment 422921

View attachment 422922

View attachment 422923

Someone over on the OWWM/OMWM site says the lower t-bar is made from a piece of small guage railroad track... the 1640 Illinois was cast into the track, and refers to the track manufacturer... Illinois Steel...

The guys over there seem to be pretty sure this vise was manufactured by Rock Island Manufacturing... one of the owners of R.I.M, Carl Sheilds, had a patent on the basic design back in 1914.

Bear, I am beginning to believe that one of your vices is vises.

You may be right...

-Bear

Oh cool. I did see a similarity in the vise rail and a railway rail but I didn’t know about the Illinois Steel connection. I guess that might explain how yours ended up with only partial lettering. That 1914 patent shows up on the vise from Ted Hays although it’s not the greatest photo. Others showed it more clearly.

Good sleuthing :encourage:

Back