What do you use for lifting heavy objects?

It’s a work in progress. Mechanicals are up-to-date and first-rate. Interior is decent. But boy does it need a paint job.

‘73 GMC Motor Home for those who don’t know.

Rick “paint is too expensive” Denney
If you ever decide to paint it, don't feel you have to spray a big thing like that motor home - Read up on "rolling and tipping".
It's the way many fiberglass boat hulls are painted - If done right, with good paint, it can look like the best spray job.

The trick with tipping is a high quality brush and paint that is just the correct consistency. The reducer used has to match the temperature.
I've got access to a spray booth and I keep a detail gun just for my use. I keep it as clean as possible. A good paint job is mostly about the prep.

I really dislike the thick layer of goo manufacturers put on castings to make them look smooth.

I made a multi directional hoist using a pivot point on a heavy custom steel work bench, supporting a 4" I beam (the electric hoist runs on the beam.) the other end looks like a gantry crane with swiveling wheels. the gantry side can slide in and out on the I beam, and the pivot part can also slide in and out on the I beam.

With this set up I can reach the all corners of the shop. Just keep the area clear where the wheels roll.
lift 2000 lbs. . If needed I can slide the rolling gantry in towards the pivot point on the work bench or run a second chain hoist.
The I beam and rolling gantry are close the ceiling as I only have 8' head room.
The pivot uses two vertical poles to allow the electric hoist to pass and the gantry is "v" shaped which also allows the hoist to pass through.

the A shaped frame slides in and out rolls left or right and allows the electric hoist to pass through. the pivoting base section also allows the electric hoist to pass through. to reach the corners of the shop i slide the I beam forward a bit.

Attachments

• crane 1.jpg
    crane 1.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 66
  • crane 2.jpg
    crane 2.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 64
My own solution to moving heavy things on/off the milling machine table is the surface of a tool cart that lives next to the mill The top of the cart is at about the midway point of the knee (table) travel. I raise/lower the knee until the mill table is even with the top of the cart, then slide the vise (or other heavy item) from one to the other. No lifting is involved or necessary.

the A shaped frame slides in and out rolls left or right and allows the electric hoist to pass through. the pivoting base section also allows the electric hoist to pass through. to reach the corners of the shop i slide the I beam forward a bit.
Looks good!

I'm trying to figure out what the sump is for?

My own solution to moving heavy things on/off the milling machine table is the surface of a tool cart that lives next to the mill The top of the cart is at about the midway point of the knee (table) travel. I raise/lower the knee until the mill table is even with the top of the cart, then slide the vise (or other heavy item) from one to the other. No lifting is involved or necessary.
Like most of us that is what is done. The only thing I didn't like was sliding the item across the mill table. Thats why I went with the table mounted winch.84436DBC-9489-4903-8569-FECA884C095F.jpeg

I like that Charles.
Thank's, after some heavy neck surgery I was unable to lift heavy tools to the mill table and other reasons so I came up with this. Some are concerned with it's weight on the table and possibly twisting the mill table. At the all in weight of 43 lbs. I don't agree. When not in use I park the table to the right. I also move it to my welding table ( its 2 pieces ) when needed easily. It has made a world of difference to me. Thanks. Charlie.

Last edited:
Back