What do you use for lifting heavy objects?

the A shaped frame slides in and out rolls left or right and allows the electric hoist to pass through. the pivoting base section also allows the electric hoist to pass through. to reach the corners of the shop i slide the I beam forward a bit.
Very nice. I sure hope that thermometer next to the wall clock is wrong. Brr.

Very nice. I sure hope that thermometer next to the wall clock is wrong. Brr.
It's 15 Celsius--about 60 degrees F. About where I keep my shop this time of year.

Rick "except the week in December when the Redhead left the back 12x12 door open for a week, tacking on an extra $200 to the monthly power bill :( " Denney

Thank's, after some heavy neck surgery I was unable to lift heavy tools to the mill table and other reasons so I came up with this. Some are concerned with it's weight on the table and possibly twisting the mill table. At the all in weight of 43 lbs. I don't agree. When not in use I park the table to the right. I also move it to my welding table ( its 2 pieces ) when needed easily. It has made a world of difference to me. Thanks. Charlie.
I know the feeling, I can no longer lift my 12 inch rotary table, When I need it, I have my grandson lift it. But I'm getting ready to re-build my engine hoist so I won't need to rely on anybody for that stuff anymore.

It's 15 Celsius--about 60 degrees F. About where I keep my shop this time of year.

Rick "except the week in December when the Redhead left the back 12x12 door open for a week, tacking on an extra $200 to the monthly power bill :( " Denney
Whew! I was shivering just looking at that thermometer!

I know the feeling, I can no longer lift my 12 inch rotary table, When I need it, I have my grandson lift it. But I'm getting ready to re-build my engine hoist so I won't need to rely on anybody for that stuff anymore.
It was the same for me. I had to wait for one of my sons or grab a neighbor. Sometimes if it was my work I would almost put it off. Now I have no problem. I hope other guys might try it. It helped me immensely. Thank's for your reply and the "Like".

IMG_9879-dsqz.JPG

IMG_9880-dsqz.JPG

Rick “don’t like ladders” Denney
lifted lots of those bodies off the frames years back. when i moved to my current location the spreader bars, 2 - 2 ton electric hoists, roll around fixtures to move the body around all went for scrap

A friend of mine has a basement shop with 8'6" ceilings. It is L shaped with a 12'X14' and a 14'X24' section. He built a gib crane, fastened to the main house beam that can reach all 4 extreme corners by putting a joint about 5' from the end of the boom. Electric hoist and everything. The vertical pillar is 5X5X.250 tube and it pivots on 2-4" timken bearings. You can move any part of it with one finger. Here it is:

jointed jib crane.JPG

Last edited:
Theos old fork lifts you just cant kill them. i had a 1960's clark. Customers would feel bad for me and give me extra money for the repairs and say buy a newer fork lift. in the end i bought a Mitsubishi 5000 lbs with side shift. I'm only in a 2 and a half car garage stuffed with equipment. I like the jib crane i think i will make one for the back shop where i keep the stock chrome rods on a wall rack.

I've read several post on here about modifying an engine hoist. I bought a two ton from Harbor Freight and modified it. I used it to move my little lathe away from the wall so I could add a DRO. I made a mount to go into the receiver hitch on my truck and used it to pull old fence post with the concrete still attached. I even used it for what it was designed for and pulled the motor out of my 1966 Jaguar. I don't do drawings, or I would have them to post. I start building something and just make it as I go. I replace the jack with square tubing when I want to use a come-a-long.lathe dro (7).JPGDisco Hoist (5).JPG

Back