What is Needed for Making a Gear?

That is a chuck with an MT-2 arbor in it!? Ha!! How cool is that... and that is all that is needed to hold the mandrel... and I don't have to deal with building a backplate, centering, etc... I can start with that!

View attachment 402184
Yep! It ended up being surprisingly good at this. I was quite shocked for as little as I paid for it (something like $60). IF you have an MT-2 drill chuck, you could probably use that instead. I have an MT4 lathe, so none of my things were small enough to work.

I'll note as well I was making brass gears with a pretty small cut for the tooth, but I was still able to do full-depth in 1 pass on that.

Yep! It ended up being surprisingly good at this. I was quite shocked for as little as I paid for it (something like $60). IF you have an MT-2 drill chuck, you could probably use that instead. I have an MT4 lathe, so none of my things were small enough to work.

I'll note as well I was making brass gears with a pretty small cut for the tooth, but I was still able to do full-depth in 1 pass on that.
I am looking at those on eBay. They are still around that price. 3-jaw, 4-jaw... all self-centering... for less than 70.00 shipped.

This will get me started. Just to play and learn. Pretty cool! Thanks! :encourage:

Jaime, don't you have a drill press? is there an MT2 taper on the drill press?

If not, I know some guy on here that has a basement full of STUFF that he is looking to get rid of. If you can get him to get off his rear and go down there, I'll bet he can find you a MT2 drill chuck for a good price... On the other hand, he might not be in the mood to part with anything right now...

Jaime, don't you have a drill press? is there an MT2 taper on the drill press?

If not, I know some guy on here that has a basement full of STUFF that he is looking to get rid of. If you can get him to get off his rear and go down there, I'll bet he can find you a MT2 drill chuck for a good price... On the other hand, he might not be in the mood to part with anything right now...
The drill press that I have was a gift from a friend that can’t do anything at the moment due to health issues. It is an old Ridgid floor standing unit. I have never removed the chuck from it. The other one is the vintage Walker-Turner benchtop…

That guy, whom we shall not name :grin big: , does not really want to let go of his stuff… I think:p:D:D Can’t blame him hahaha. I am joking, of course, he has so much on his mind right now.

I ordered a similar MT2 chuck to what @ErichKeane showed.

Last edited:
The drill press that I have was a gift from a friend that can’t do anything at the moment due to health issues. It is an old Ridgid floor standing unit. I have never removed the chuck from it. The other one is the vintage Walker-Turner benchtop…

That guy, whom we shall not name :grin big: , does not really want to let go of his stuff… I think:p:D:D Can’t blame him hahaha. I am joking, of course, he has so much on his mind right now.

I ordered a similar MT2 chuck to what @ErichKeane showed.
well, a rigid probably has an MT2 .. all you need is to pull then quill down until the slot appears, stick the wedge in and hit it.
I like to hit the wedge up or down, not across like it was intended. I find it releases fine that way. I'm betting the wedge on the rigid is not hardened like my original wedge. I picked up a hardened wedge at a garage sale.

well, a rigid probably has an MT2 .. all you need is to pull then quill down until the slot appears, stick the wedge in and hit it.
I like to hit the wedge up or down, not across like it was intended. I find it releases fine that way. I'm betting the wedge on the rigid is not hardened like my original wedge. I picked up a hardened wedge at a garage sale.
Afraid it will never be a drill press again if I mess with it :grin big: :grin big: :grin big:

After you mentioned a drill press, I went and looked around and found the chuck that the G0704 came with… it has an R8 shank, but I can swap that for an MT-2. Issue with that chuck is that I never used it because of the lousy runout it had…. Guessing that for this use, runout would not be much of an issue???

Afraid it will never be a drill press again if I mess with it :grin big: :grin big: :grin big:

After you mentioned a drill press, I went and looked around and found the chuck that the G0704 came with… it has an R8 shank, but I can swap that for an MT-2. Issue with that chuck is that I never used it because of the lousy runout it had…. Guessing that for this use, runout would not be much of an issue???
You want your gear to have runout? It's ok to learn with, I guess. Wouldn't use it for making gears for real use.

Correct, just to learn.

Back