What Is The Name Of This Awesome Tool?

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi guys,
Awhile ago, a machinist who was moving out of state sold/gave me a bunch of stuff. While we were chatting in his garage, he told me the name of this tool, told me how useful it was, and said I could buy it in the gardening section at Home Depot. He said this tool would enable anyone to move any size machine. He then showed me how he used it. It is really hard for me to explain the movement he used to make a machine slowly rotate/move, kind of like "walking" a tall heavy box. I told him that it was cool, and I'd pick one from the store.

As time went on, I forgot about that tool, until the day I received my Bridgeport mill. My friend Mike, while using his forklift, placed the mill facing outward in my garage. I told him the position wasn't ideal. Then he grabbed the same type of bar my old machinist friend showed me awhile ago, and he placed the tip of the bar into the center hole that is at the front bottom of the mill's base. It honestsly looked like that hole was specifically made to be used with this bar. His helper was behind the milling table and pushed one side of the table while Mike shimmy'd the machine 90 degrees. It took them about 30 seconds to move this machine 90 degrees. Since Mike wasn't in a good mood (we had traffic backed up both ways since his flatbed truck was blocking my narrow mountain /very steep hillside street that the morning and evening commuters used as a short cut), I didn't want to bother him with talking about the tool's name, hence, I am asking you guys.

Then, I saw this ad, but I don't think it's a water wrench as the seller called it since I couldn't find any of the same tool when I googled it. Or maybe it is a water wrench, but an old school version.

Whew! All this typing just to ask, "what is this thing called?"

FYI, I am a craigslist cheapskate. $50 is way too much to pay for this bar, if I can avoid it, and I would rather wait for or find someone else selling it for $10 ;-)

Btw, this bar looks like it can be McGyver'd to be multi fucntional. I can see Jackie Chan using this tool as a self defense weapon as he gets jumped by 6 men in the back of a gardening shed. Digressing...sorry

Thanks in advance for your friendly input.

Last edited:
Pinch or nose bars. There's various names people call them. Also Johnson or Johnny bars but those have wheels on the sides of them.

Ahhhhh yes . The big Johnson . It takes a Big Johnson to ……………………….:grin:

You can also make one pretty easily with scrap. Didn't know it had an 'official' name. I've just called it a long pry bar.

I made my own by taking a long piece of 2" square tubing (thick wall), cut one end to about a 50 or 60 degree angle, welded on a fulcrum (short section of round stock) and a cleat (1/4" flat). I've used it to move and/or turn two milling machines and various other large pieces of equipment around my shop.

Whenever I need a piece of 2" scrap, I NEVER consider de-constructing that pry bar. It's way too useful.

Regards,
Terry

As said a Johnson bar has a 4” lip with wheels used for moving heavy loads. A chingalaro or pry bar is like a 2” square forged bar with a bevel on one side is used for moving rocks ,sewage lids, machinery. Can be found at the depot. Great to have when you need it.

We always called them wrecking bars.

Like a lot of things, they ain't what they used to be. I'd keep an eye out at farm sales for an old one as the new bars wherever they are made are not as stout as the bars I used in my youth. I was lucky to inherit a bar from my dad that is actually an old truck axel. Every time I've dug that thing out of the shed for some project the pro construction guys have all asked where in the world did I find it. You can stand on the end of it and it won't bend. That's not true of the new ones. If you can find a floating truck axel where the wheel flange on the end has broken off its junk as far as the junkyard is concerned and you can grind the end into any configuration you want. Mine is a very blunt point. Knowing you if you find one they will give it to you.

Back