What Is The Name Of This Awesome Tool?

I put my mill on a steel plate with about 5 in pipe legs and can easily move it with a pallet jack.

There will be a lot of force on the very short fulcrum of the business end of whatever named bar you use. I would not skimp on your selection. You do not want the bar breaking/failing. Keep your fingers out of harms way. And that goes for the rest of your body too. When moving heavy metal/objects, please be safe!

The one I like best, has a point on one end and a slightly bent flat on the other.
Like this:

The bar illustrated in post# 9 is commonly called a pinch bar. Sears and Roebuck called it that in their 1915 tool catalog and McMaster Carr calls it that. When the beveled end has a bend, it is apparently called a pry bar although there are a number of different names associated with it. I have seen it referred to as a tommy bar. When the other end was bent into a hook and both ends had a slit for pulling nails, I have known that as a crow bar.

Back in the days when heavy machinery was moved without the benefit of a fork lift or pallet jack, long bars were used as levers. I recall seeing pictures of riggers using 5 & 6 ft. bars moving machinery. I haven't been able to locate any relevant photos though.

I have an assortment of bars in various configurations, ranging from about 15" to 5 ft., and have used them on multiple occasions for moving heavy objects.

You can stand on the end of it and it won't bend.
Mine, too. I made mine long enough where I can stand on one end, place the other end under the mill and tilt it with one hand.

You can also use what is known as a toe-jack. It has a little finger that runs up into the slot in the BP and you can jack it up and roll it around.

Back