What job did you do today in your shop?

This morning a friend of mine (Cliff S.) came over to use my milling machine because his entire shop (and house!) burned up in a wildfire. We cut a keyway in a big lead screw. We used a HSS endmill for the .187” deep slot.

666F963A-33D3-41A1-9416-B4E9BF4A829B.jpeg

E878D9CC-4EBD-427A-8546-AAEED825DA5A.jpeg

My Dad is photobombing the next picture:

C8B5704B-BAC4-4962-ADAC-BD4838FD22EA.jpeg

1A0B667D-B571-453F-9133-835C3D392A1A.jpeg

755CAC60-36FF-4D5E-8A1A-E492CA7866C2.jpeg

Cliff will do the filing & deburring at his place.

built a splitter
bought 7 used hyd cylinders 100 each, my pump is tiny n my motor is only 3hp so this will be for a tractor combo
cyls metric 80 bore 7 mm wall 94 OD , wish could find a used 5 06 inch c yl, however this split fibrous fresh cut redgum 14 inch but only halves

Attachments

• log splitter.jpg
    log splitter.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 15
This morning a friend of mine (Cliff S.) came over to use my milling machine because his entire shop (and house!) burned up in a wildfire. We cut a keyway in a big lead screw. We used a HSS endmill for the .187” deep slot.

View attachment 425180

View attachment 425179

View attachment 425181

View attachment 425182

View attachment 425183

Poor guy, so devesting for Cliff, but he has Mates to help, well done

I have owned this very economical import Shars R8 fly cutter for over a year, & I used it for the first time today. I used an import insert in an import tool holder. It worked very nicely on mild steel!

View attachment 423312

View attachment 423311
wishing I had 3phase, put some phase converters in, but big power losses, runs the bandsaw, bout all

View attachment 425180

View attachment 425179

View attachment 425181

View attachment 425182

View attachment 425183

Another fire victim. This really hits home. Sorry to hear the news.
Thousands upon thousands of homes have been lost in the Western states in the past several years.
What a shame. We pray for rain, again This fall season.

So we moved 3 lathes and the mill along with other garage remnents but she is in and the trailer is empty . Looks kinda lathe alley at the moment . :grin: The trailer is needed to demolish a 32 foot camper up on the property next week if all gos well . Last large job of the season before selling time .
Exciting! Tiring! Is there a thread somewhere that you tell us what lathes are in the lathe alley? They look like nice machines

Bernie

View attachment 425180

View attachment 425179

View attachment 425181

View attachment 425182

View attachment 425183

My friend who lost his home a few years back called today. Hard thing loosing everything you own, but I'm so happy they are still around :)

John

Exciting! Tiring! Is there a thread somewhere that you tell us what lathes are in the lathe alley? They look like nice machines
Sorry for the delay , but no thread . The lathes are a 14"x 60" Republic Lagun , 13" x 40" Enco and the Hardinge DSM-59 second op lathe .

I've done absolutely nothing in my shop since the 8th.
Operations came to a chilly halt.
My part time Spring Gig turned into a part time Fall Gig, like last fall, pulling anhydrous tanks to the fields for the Co-op.
Good thing we had all 70 of the fleet full and on standby plus the big pig tank full for once we got started resupply was very slow coming in and before long we had all 70 wagons either in the fields, on the road or sitting at the rack empty waiting on a transport to show up to refill the pig.
Made for some long and cold days w/temps barely above freezing most days and cloudy overcast skies w/snow fluffies and strong NNW winds most days.
Usually on the road at 6:30 and home after 6 and sometimes 7!
BRRRRRRR!!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN3485.jpg
    DSCN3485.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 14
Back