What would be a fair offer for SB 10L with no motor?

jdsantiagojr

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I have been searching Craigslist for a machine and found a south bend 10L for 2k. The owner does not know much about the machine and it is missing a motor.

Going to take a look at it tomorrow but wanted to see if it is a fair price/what would be a good offer?

the machine only has four jaw and looks like it has been sitting for a while .

Look forward to hearing what you guys think ?

It depends on a lot of things. Tooling, for instance... If all you are getting is a 4-jaw, at best, I would only offer $750 or so and that would be if the ways are in tip-top shape.

Post the ad URL here so we can take a gander at it.

If you are in Ohio , why are you looking at lathes in Seattle ?

Looks like someone painted everything, not good.

Why no motor?

2k is 1500 too much.

Nice cabinet but cannot listen to it run without the motor.

Can look at ways and gears as well as checking spindle with dal indicator and a 2x4 but the sloppy paint combined with no motor make for show stopper at that price.

Someone who knows what to look for may be able to inspect it to come up with some value but Seatle should NOT be lathe dessert so price as is way too much.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

2k is 1500 too much.
I have to agree . I sold an identical lathe with tooling to a member on here from Ohio . He made the drive over . My ways were basically shot to heii , but he had plans for it . :D

I actually moved from Ohio to Seattle last summer . Sold all of my stuff and moved to be closer to family.
Very good . Family comes first ! :encourage:

Looks like someone painted everything, not good.

Why no motor?

2k is 1500 too much.

Nice cabinet but cannot listen to it run without the motor.

Can look at ways and gears as well as checking spindle with dal indicator and a 2x4 but the sloppy paint combined with no motor make for show stopper at that price.

Someone who knows what to look for may be able to inspect it to come up with some value but Seatle should NOT be lathe dessert so price as is way too much.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I didn’t notice the paint job. Thank you for pointing that out. Not sure why the motor is missing but when I asked he knew very little about the lathe. He took it apart into three pieces and has had it stored for a while . Sounds like he never got around to using it .

He is about an hour out from me so now I’m not sure if it would even be worth the ride to take a look

The same lathe has been posted on FB South Bend Lathe page at least twice recently. Priced from $1200 up. Pretty careless paint job and the guy appears to be an ass.

1641511066499.png

1641511115635.png
1641511206976.png
1641511456522.png

Back