When did metric take over?

US cars I would say by mid 90s metric dominated. 80s you find some mix of metric and standard often on the same car.
My 1986 S-10 Blazer had a mix: I ended up carrying two complete sets of sockets with me because you couldn't predict which was what until you needed to unbolt something.

You are in the business of solving customer problems, so I think it is money well spent to have both imperial and metric on hand. The first customer that comes back after you did a repair quickly instead of sending him elsewhere will pay for that extra set when he thinks of you first and not the other guy.

There probably isn't much being made in imperial any longer, so having a metric set on hand makes sense, but there is plenty of imperial equipment still being used that you need that set too. Maybe buy a basic set of each and expand as funds or necessity permit. I’m with you on the supply chain issues in the future, I can get most of what I need next day, but when I buy something, I buy extra to have on hand because I believe things are going to get harder to find, and more expensive.

I think you nailed it nicely. If the cows don't get fed you don't go to bed. You work until it's done. Even if your machinery fails. Been there and done that.

Missing out on a job is more than just opportunity cost but they will be less likely to use you in the future. I'm setting myself up for success. I really like being the shop with stuff on the shelf ready to go.

I'm setting myself up for success. I really like being the shop with stuff on the shelf ready to go.
I think that is the best way to go, customers will appreciate having a shop they can rely on.

Having both systems really helps with machining standard metric sizes. For example if my lathe chuck is way out I can use 1" stock to machine a standard 25mm diameter having 0.4mm / 0.016" to play with. The same is true throught the equivalents eg 50mm is 50.8 as 2" - 75mm is 76.2 as 3" & 100mm is 101.4 as 4" and so on. So fortunately the metric equivalent standard sizes are smaller than the imperial equivalents.

I use both systems regularly.

Realistically, the only thing you have to remember is 25.4.

millimeters/25.4 = inches
inches×25.4 = millimeters

Since everyone has a calculator today (A.K.A., cell phone or spreadsheet) there is no problem.

The problem is that nobody wants someone else to have the power to tell them to change. This is the very definition of religion.

I use both systems regularly.

Realistically, the only thing you have to remember is 25.4.

millimeters/25.4 = inches
inches×25.4 = millimeters

Since everyone has a calculator today (A.K.A., cell phone or spreadsheet) there is no problem.

The problem is that nobody wants someone else to have the power to tell them to change. This is the very definition of religion.
Very true Mitch,

the problems I have are when numbers and letters are assigned to sizes such as threads and drills, are they really neccessary? Decimal inches for drill sets would be a start, metric sets are usually 1mm to 10mm in 0.1mm (0.004") increments.

Back