When did metric take over?

John Deere tractor models released in the late 80’s and early to mid 90’s went metric. CaseIH introduced the Magnum line in ‘88 and it was metric.

A few items designed decades ago (such as some parts ofcotton picker units) are not metric but the sizes are listed in metric but use metric fasteners. And, as items are re-designed they are done so in true metric units of measure.

Currently, short line US manufacturers are mostly “American” sizes.
And yet most of the hydraulic system/hoses/fittings were still "standard" sae orb and jic fittings.

Not a big metric guy because I'm grew up imperial but I sometimes switch to metric when fabricating a one off part because it's more convenient than measuring 59/74 of an inch..

Not a big metric guy because I'm grew up imperial but I sometimes switch to metric when fabricating a one off part because it's more convenient than measuring 59/74 of an inch..
Uh......no. No drawings come like that. No machinist I know is multiplying fractions. We all work in decimal inches.

You are in the business of solving customer problems, so I think it is money well spent to have both imperial and metric on hand. The first customer that comes back after you did a repair quickly instead of sending him elsewhere will pay for that extra set when he thinks of you first and not the other guy.

There probably isn't much being made in imperial any longer, so having a metric set on hand makes sense, but there is plenty of imperial equipment still being used that you need that set too. Maybe buy a basic set of each and expand as funds or necessity permit. I’m with you on the supply chain issues in the future, I can get most of what I need next day, but when I buy something, I buy extra to have on hand because I believe things are going to get harder to find, and more expensive.

And yet most of the hydraulic system/hoses/fittings were still "standard" sae orb and jic fittings.
ISO standards use British Standard dimensions on water and hydraulic fitting in Europe, so those will be inch based until the standard gets changed, which will probably not be during any of our lifetimes.

I think the we here in the US should finally adopt Football Fields as our official base unit of measurement. Think of the excitement of cruising in the left lane at a whopping 1056 ffph instead of a dull 60 mph. Or boasting the ability to measure down to 1/3,600,000th of a Football Field instead of an imprecise, Thousandth of an Inch…

I think the we here in the US should finally adopt Football Fields as our official base unit of measurement. Think of the excitement of cruising in the left lane at a whopping 1056 ffph instead of a dull 60 mph. Or boasting the ability to measure down to 1/3,600,000th of a Football Field instead of an imprecise, Thousandth of an Inch…
To heck with MPH or fph or anything per hour. I'm in for the long haul with furlongs per fortnight.

Tom

Uh......no. No drawings come like that. No machinist I know is multiplying fractions. We all work in decimal inches.
I'm not talking about a drawing. If I'm making a quick one off part and using a scale It's sometimes more convenient to divide metric by 2 instead of using fractions.

Back