Which lathe? (Opening a can of worms here!)

Dan,
I agree. I like using a real lathe..i.e one that has controls on the apron and not driving the long feed with my right hand on the end of the bed.

Now at some point if I am unable to stand for longer periods, etc, then being able to sit comfortably at a table and using my Unimat again may be an option, hence the reason for my keeping it.

Making lure bodies on the 618 would be very compatible.

David

Last edited:
The Taig has a lot of user mods and looks to take well to tinkering. I'm not sure how precise it will turn out to be - I have a Taig micro-mill and while it's not *imprecise*, the lack of rigidity does make me skeptical about calling it a precision instrument. The Sherline, on the other hand, has a reputation for precision, so if that's what you're after then sounds like the Sherline might be what you want. They probably hold their resale value better than the Taig, too, just for the brand name.

Thanks David! I know that it's up to me to figure it out but I'm glad we're discussing this because you bring up a good point I hadn't considered. I recently have come to the point I can't stand for long periods. Some days around 10 minutes at a time is my limit so I keep a stool at whichever bench I'm working. Sitting while using my Grizzly's isn't bad but at times I do need to stand to look over what I'm doing. I think using a Taig/Sherline at a desk while I'm sitting in a wheel chair will eventually be my normal mode with rare trips to my basement workshop.

I had better pick out a new lathe soon! Glad we had this discussion. Thanks again David!

Dan

ThinWoodsman,

Good point! And maybe I should take into account which one my kids would rather have when I'm gone. They needn't get excited yet. I have quite a few more years ahead of me ... I hope. :)

quick change gear box and a separate threading drive and power feed is very nice to have on the smaller 9x20 (Emco 8 clones).

Stu

for my model ship and other work I have a somewhat modded unimat SL100,, the only weak point was the motor but that has been replaced with a variable speed newer unit.. I have even seen some new in the box units up for sale and some well outfitted lathes in the 500.00 price range.. they have limited use in the milling machine mode but do make a fine mini drill press..

My youngest kid is 30. My youngest grand kid is 8. Maybe for the 8 year old. :)

Geez! Calling the Taig a 'kit'?!?!?! It can't be any worse than the Sherline. Does the Sherline even have the option of having it factory assembled like the Taig does? And talk about plastic parts???

Last edited:
Only plastic parts on a Sherline are the gibs and probably the motor control box.

Back