Which lathe? (Opening a can of worms here!)

Can you cut threads with the Taig?

Great idea on the fusable belt! thanks!

This will be my 3rd lathe but still on my 1st mill. ;)

Yeah , maybe a cute little watch makes / precision mill ?

or a horizontal boring mill, perhaps a vertical lathe too ?

then theirs always the surface and cylindrical grinders ?

and maybe a tool and cutter grinder too ?

ow hang on I need a bigger work shop :)

:bawling:
Stu

It arrived yesterday. I spent a few hours last evening unpacking and assembling the parts on a board. It's way cool!

The new motor arrived late last week but I haven't wired it up and put a switch on it yet. Being on-call got in the way this past weekend. I may try out the Taig with one of the older motors for a while.

David,

I'm a bit concerned that after using a Taig/Sherline for a while I might just set it aside and use the Grizzly or Craftsman exclusively. The purchase of a Taig/Sherline might be more out of curiosity than anything else.

I can still make fishing lure bodies on the lathes I have and the fish won't notice the difference. :)
My experience...spent north of $400 on a Taig lathe about 12 years ago...love it. Spent another couple hundred dollars on tooling/accessories. Still love it. Retrofitted it with Touch DRO. Great little lathe. For the small brass parts you are considering I argue that you can't go wrong.

With that said...if you already anticipate that you will set it aside for something with more gusto, then go in that direction. You can pick up a good condition Atlas or Craftsman lathe for $600-1000 usually with some tooling to get you started and you will have nearly zero problems assuming everything is good with the ways, lead screw, etc.

Ditto on micro mills. I bought a Sherline mill for $400 used and was/am still happy with it. But I upgraded to something slightly larger and have no regrets on how I progressed.

Back