Which lathe? (Opening a can of worms here!)

I started with the South Bend 9A (QCGB, power cross-feed etc) then got a a used Taig out of curiosity. Couldn't resist for $40

The Taig is very accurate, changing speeds is so easy you don't need a variable DC motor and it has a rack to enable faster carriage movement. The Sherline forces one to crank a 'leadscrew' to move the carriage which is very tedious. IMO, Sherline is way over-priced.

For those small parts you won't need power feed. I made a lead screw and crank for 'manual power feed' but rarely use it. The South Bend remains my main lathe but the Taig is handy for small stuff (like your fishing gear) and polishing.

Why not just get the basic Taig "kit", scrounge up any kind of motor and see how you like it? 1/4HP 1725RPM furnace motor is plenty.

Some links: http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

http://www.modelengines.info/

http://www.cartertools.com/price.html

3mm fusible belt:

Last edited:
martik777,

That's the way I'm thinking about it. Sherline is just too expensive when I can get exactly what I want in a Taig for far less $$$. I already have 2 motors sitting around that will work for the Taig. (I can always put a DC motor and controller on it later if I want and then put the salvaged AC motor back on the shelf.)

(As always, J. R. Bentley's work is truly amazing!!!)

Thanks!

I do like the adaptability of an old unimat,, I may have gone a little crazy modding mine.. things that do make work well,, steady rest, dividing unit, raising blocks.. home built milling feed screw.. can do average small hobby work, but can get into very small range when needed..

Attachments

• IMGP0667.JPG
    IMGP0667.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMGP0057.JPG
    IMGP0057.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP0095.JPG
    IMGP0095.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP0085.JPG
    IMGP0085.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
The Z axis control is a huge improvement. That is one of the things that really sucks on the stock unimat, as the down feed is coarse and not calibrated.

David

I'm going with a new Taig. I might even treat myself to a new motor instead of one of the old motors I have. (I have other projects where I was planning to use the salvaged motors.)

Good plan, get some of that fusible transmission belt (<$5 for 9 ft). It will save you a fortune in broken $10 belts. You just cut to length, heat the ends with a lighter and join.

Curious to see how you like it. I was disappointed with my Taig mill when I first started using it, but have found it is a nice companion to a larger milling machine. I have it in the basement so I can still do some work when the snow is too deep to make it to the shop in the barn.

Curious to see how you like it. I was disappointed with my Taig mill when I first started using it, but have found it is a nice companion to a larger milling machine. I have it in the basement so I can still do some work when the snow is too deep to make it to the shop in the barn.

Lol now were moving away from "which lathe?" to the "how many lathes?" question ;)

Stu

Back