[How-To] Wrench storage

okay, I'll play.......even though I am feeling a little inadequate after some of the above photos.......

I started with a set of simple set of Craftsman combination wrenches that I got for christmas about 40 years ago.
I found that the tool rolls worked well for me; keeps them organized in the drawer and I can eaily take them along too.

Recently I added the equivalent ratchet-end "Expert" wrenches....a real nice addition.

imperial.jpg

metric.jpg

It works for me.

There is also one more drawer of the "oddball" wrenches that I did not get a photo of.

-brino

Thanks. Yes, mine is the Blue Point version of the rolling tool cart. Bought it used from a guy who was upgrading to a larger cabinet. If you look closely, I made braces that hold the lid vertical. The stubby racks on the front of the cart are made from 6061-T6 with magnetic strips on the bottom. The long hex socket rack on the bottom is actually two pieces made from 6061-T6. The flashlight holder, nut driver racks and ratchet extensions are made out of steel (10 gauge as I recall). The long extension - horizontal on the bottom - is two pieces made out of CRS. The upper and lower racks on the back are made out of 6061-T6 - 1/2" for the vertical backpiece; 3/8" for the horizontal. All slots are milled to fit each specific wrench. The top rack is Imperial; the bottom is metric. The only thing I would have done differently on those is made the angle slightly greater than 90*. If you'll notice, on the last photo, the racks are tilted up slightly using washers. That's because wrenches would fall off when I rolled the stand around. Tilting it up resolved that problem. Thought about re-doing them but, nah. It's a tool - not a piece of furniture.

Thanks for looking and glad you like it.

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: That IS the family size.
I like your idea of just leaving the lid open and using it as a rack to hold tools. In a home shop, you bet, workplace, no way.

I like your idea of just leaving the lid open and using it as a rack to hold tools. In a home shop, you bet, workplace, no way.
Absolutely true. Even in a home shop: Zoom in on the little sign in the lower left corner of the first photo. One guy told me he violated rule #3. I'm still waiting for him to pay me the $1,000 fine.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

Just something to be aware of. If you buy a set of metric wrenches or sockets from Harbour Freight be careful that you don't grab a set that has skips in it. Usually it will be the SAE equivalents 11mm, 13mm, 14mm, 16mm, and 19mm. And just to clarify, the only one that I would consider an equivalent is 19mm to 3/4".

Absolutely true. Even in a home shop: Zoom in on the little sign in the lower left corner of the first photo. One guy told me he violated rule #3. I'm still waiting for him to pay me the $1,000 fine.

Thanks for looking.

Regards
I had to go back and check out your sign. That is hilarious. Wait a minute, you posted those pictures. Does that mean that we here have broken rule #3? :laughing:

got tired of rummaging through drawers of imperial and metric wrenches, so I organised them above my work bench with some pieces of wood and a bunch of screws. Kinda janky looking, but it works and no more rummaging!
IMG_9760.JPG

Closing a drawer and having everything slide to the back of the drawer drove me nuts. I know this is not the best method but it's the best method for me at the moment.
This would be my preferred storage method, but it does take up a lot of drawer space. Nicely done!

Here's mine. It's just me, do I can get them put away ;-) tiny wrenches got slotted blocks, labelled with the screw size they fit.

At work I had two sets of hooks plasma cut. Each US size gets a hook, and can hold 3-4 wrenches. Every size from 1/4 to 2". That had the least friction in a shared tool box.
78f464f01badbc028804d20d1a280796.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back