[How-To] Wrench storage

I have had these trays for almost 20 years. I like them because they work well and if you need to, you can remove them from the drawer and carry them to the job. I believe that they are available from Pegasus Racing Supply. Not a plug for Pegasus, just where I got them.
Richard 8D98B94E-6D42-4757-9472-CED0815F709E.jpeg

My tool boxes are mostly the typical mess but on my boat I don't have that luxury so I use homemade tool rolls. I do have a few made for special sets in my main tool box. If you have access to a sewing machine (and either know how to use it or know somebody who does) they don't use much fabric and don't take much time. Mine were made from scraps of leftover boat canvas. I don't have a picture of my homemade ones but they are similar to these "Bucket Boss" versions:

ToolRoll.PNG

That is a touchy very personal subject. Mostly involving what the person is most often engaged in. I don't do "mechanic" work, at all, except for myself. But I do electrical work for just about anyone that asks. Just I won't "jerry rig" anything, I do it right or I don't do it at all. With that in mind, I do use combination wrenches regularly. And for generic sheet metal screws, prefer the hex head and phillips combination head when I can find a particular size.

For my end wrenches, combination with open end and box end being my preference, I use a number of racks like pegboard pegs but in a group. I don't know the brand but they are 8 or 10 pegs to a group. Each peg per size. . . 6 and 12 point wrenches are not differentiated, but on occasion when I need 12 point specifically, they are easy enough to pick out. Imperial and metric are on seperate racks, side by side. There are several "sets", mostly odd sizes picked up over the years. And a couple of true sets that were acquired, some good, name brand, some cheap, a la Harbor Freight.

There are many wrenches, some with odd sizes, that are specific to some machine. And a set of very large open end with an odd angle on the head that do well on woodworking machines. Those stay with the machune. Then there are "ignition" sizes. The small and oddly shaped sizes. Those are in a plastic covered bin in a drawer of the tool box. And lastly, there are the wrenches for tiny sizes specific to my models. The 5/32 and under sizes. Those are in a (homemade) stand on the back of the bench.

Sockets mostly stay in their original set boxes. From 1/4 drive, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4. Then there are the "nut drivers", spin tights(?). The "normal" sizes (3/8-3/4) reside in a tool box. The small ones that I made are on my model building bench. Again, homemade racks. And metric and imperial seperate but close. There are many spin tights and wrenches from my professional days that are no longer used much now that I'm retired. Those that are specific to a piece of equipment are kept in "deep" storage. Odd stuff for old model recorders and the like. I never throw anything away. Ya never know. . .

I have most all that sort of stuff in a tool board above a shelf unit that is free standing.

I can provide no example of orgimization. One drawer has the funny wrenches which seldom confuse me anymore (you know, with the math equation stamped on 'em?)
3487B7BD-208E-4060-9B16-43763ED1F020.jpeg
then there is the other drawer which is plagued by some strange quantum entanglement by where ther are 8 and 10 mm wrenches in there all over the place when I don't need them and they are impossible to find when I do need them. Orgamized by u shaped kinda ones, o shaped kinda ones and not so big kinda ones.
0FE7685B-2354-456A-A1CE-AB745534619D.jpeg

I’ve tried all kinds of organizers, and while they look pretty I find the extra space they take up isn’t worth it.

Quite a while back I just switched to labeling one drawer standard and another metric. That’s organized enough for me and when the drawers are closed nobody can see what’s inside.

For me the little bit of time saved being any more organized isn’t worth having 6 extra drawers and having to remember which type of wrench is in each one.

John

I use a little bit of everything. Wrench trays and magnetic strips. Trying to get the most room out of my drawer. Metric on the left. Standard on the right. Specialty wrenches in the middle.
GOPR4460.JPG
GOPR4461.JPG
GOPR4462.JPG

Back