[How-To] Wrench storage

This has been a sore subject at home for quite some time . No organization what so ever . One set of wrenches will be making its way up to Canada next week , so that's a start . Still , you don't want to see pics . :dejected:

Closing a drawer and having everything slide to the back of the drawer drove me nuts. I know this is not the best method but it's the best method for me at the moment.

Attachments

• 20201230_153138.jpg
    20201230_153138.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 20201230_153148.jpg
    20201230_153148.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 20201230_153143.jpg
    20201230_153143.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Closing a drawer and having everything slide to the back of the drawer drove me nuts. I know this is not the best method but it's the best method for me at the moment.
I like it. Gets the job done.

I am up to at least 5 drawers of wrenches. Only one of them is "organized" since the hydraulic wrenches don't get used that often. The SAE and metric are double/triple stacked.

This thread is hitting home. I went from having too many incomplete wrench sets (WTF was HF thinking leaving out metric wrench sizes?!) to having so many duplicates I still can't find the right size sometimes. That, combined with a bit of a fetish I have for accumulating hex wrenches will drive me to figure out my own Dewey decimal system for tool storage. I also may take the opportunity to chop up a couple wrenches for specialty uses, e.g. mill drawbar.

Here's mine:

IMG_1591.JPG IMG_1593.JPG IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1595.JPG

And making the racks is a great machining exercise as well.

I like that set-up . Do they come in family size ? :grin: That looks like the Snap On cart I have in here at work so I'm guessing you put this together ? :encourage:

I went from having too many incomplete wrench sets (WTF was HF thinking leaving out metric wrench sizes?!) .
That is common across the board. It seems like a lot of the stuff on newer cars is 9mm.

Harbor Freight has colored wrenches. Each size is a different color. Hey, that's pretty cool. :eagerness: Then I noticed that there are colored socket sets.:excitement: Then I noticed that the colors of the wrench sizes don't match the colors of the socket sizes. o_O To say the least, I did not buy them.

I have a set of deep sockets with all different colors. I do not like them, they are hard to find when working outside, they seem to match what ever you are working on.

I like that set-up . Do they come in family size ? :grin: That looks like the Snap On cart I have in here at work so I'm guessing you put this together ? :encourage:
Thanks. Yes, mine is the Blue Point version of the rolling tool cart. Bought it used from a guy who was upgrading to a larger cabinet. If you look closely, I made braces that hold the lid vertical. The stubby racks on the front of the cart are made from 6061-T6 with magnetic strips on the bottom. The long hex socket rack on the bottom is actually two pieces made from 6061-T6. The flashlight holder, nut driver racks and ratchet extensions are made out of steel (10 gauge as I recall). The long extension - horizontal on the bottom - is two pieces made out of CRS. The upper and lower racks on the back are made out of 6061-T6 - 1/2" for the vertical backpiece; 3/8" for the horizontal. All slots are milled to fit each specific wrench. The top rack is Imperial; the bottom is metric. The only thing I would have done differently on those is made the angle slightly greater than 90*. If you'll notice, on the last photo, the racks are tilted up slightly using washers. That's because wrenches would fall off when I rolled the stand around. Tilting it up resolved that problem. Thought about re-doing them but, nah. It's a tool - not a piece of furniture.

Thanks for looking and glad you like it.

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: That IS the family size.

Back