Yet another mill I just started looking at but this one is diffrent

well, my dad said he would let me buy it and would drive down there with me so if I make that decision he will let me. On the condition, I do some things of course. I will keep all of you updated if anything new or exiting happens.

Sounds like a great adventure! If the thing runs at all, and if it is even barely square, that is a steal of a deal.

now the question, do I drive 5 hours for that mill $600 or do I drive 2 hours for a k&t no 2u for $800 im not sure if the kt has any overarm supports he needs to get back to me when he goes and looks for them and i also dont know if it has the drive gear for its dual axis vertical head thing. it is the universal table type

If you're 18, does that mean that in months or a year from now, you'll be off to college? If so, it's very likely that the mill is going to sit for years. Is that the best use of your money at this time in your life?

I ask this as someone who modified his car as he worked his way through school, so I'm in no position to judge questionable behavior...

If you're 18, does that mean that in months or a year from now, you'll be off to college? If so, it's very likely that the mill is going to sit for years. Is that the best use of your money at this time in your life?

I ask this as someone who modified his car as he worked his way through school, so I'm in no position to judge questionable behavior...
im in college right now and Im not planning on moving out of my house for a while. so is it the best way to spend my money no, but I sure do love to spend my money on machines

from what I have read it should weigh less than 4000 but I do get why you would say it would become a boat anchor. I didnt realize its been for sale for that long, any ideas why that might be? I know I wont use it all that much but im no business looking for ease of use im a kid looking for cool machines to design projects around

Not that many people with the capability to move / house a 2+ ton machine, and even fewer those who can that don't already have one. That is a big reason why these big machines sit and sell for relatively low prices. For weird brands you also have to think about parts, K&T parts are probably a lot easier to find. Don't overlook the possibility that there may be something wrong with it, could even be simple but if you can't get parts that could be a problem.

On the other end of the scale you see little machines like the Atlas 4x18" horizontal mills sell over a weekend for 3x the price of that monster. People often seem baffled at the high prices for little machines. Sure much less capable, but literally anyone with workbench can use a little mill like that. 120v power so nothing special required and at less than 200lbs you can bring it home with a Honda Civic.

Not that many people with the capability to move / house a 2+ ton machine, and even fewer those who can that don't already have one. That is a big reason why these big machines sit and sell for relatively low prices. For weird brands you also have to think about parts, K&T parts are probably a lot easier to find. Don't overlook the possibility that there may be something wrong with it, could even be simple but if you can't get parts that could be a problem.

On the other end of the scale you see little machines like the Atlas 4x18" horizontal mills sell over a weekend for 3x the price of that monster. People often seem baffled at the high prices for little machines. Sure much less capable, but literally anyone with workbench can use a little mill like that. 120v power so nothing special required and at less than 200lbs you can bring it home with a Honda Civic.
for me personally I just like big old iron I have a 42'x72' steel pole barn with plenty of space so I can store it. the only thing with the k&t is It is heavier than the other option

for me personally I just like big old iron I have a 42'x72' steel pole barn with plenty of space so I can store it. the only thing with the k&t is It is heavier than the other option

You are one of the lucky ones who can take advantage of the low prices on big machines. It is a neat machine and I hate seeing things like that rust away.

Clearly the vendor has good taste with a name like that. :grin:

I am generally impulsive and financially reckless, but I would advise the OP to embrace his enthusiasm and dive in for this learning experience.

Spending money on tools? Loves old iron? If that isn’t the best attitude ever, I don’t know what is. Have fun!

Back