Yet another mill I just started looking at but this one is diffrent

If you're going to be moving it, rent a heavy equipment trailer - the bed lowers down to ground level, which will be VERY handy when taking it off the trailer. That said, unless you have a lot of experience moving things close to 4,000 pounds, it's something to leave to the pros.

If you're dad is at all mechanical, I'm sure he'll be fine with it parked in his barn, because he knows that he'll get to use it when you're off at school, if not longer.

If you're going to be moving it, rent a heavy equipment trailer - the bed lowers down to ground level, which will be VERY handy when taking it off the trailer. That said, unless you have a lot of experience moving things close to 4,000 pounds, it's something to leave to the pros.

If you're dad is at all mechanical, I'm sure he'll be fine with it parked in his barn, because he knows that he'll get to use it when you're off at school, if not longer.
He know stuff about cars but the things I do are above his knowledge... Don't get me wrong he can replace just about any part in a car or swap and engine but when it comes to machine tools like these he just sees huge drill presses

Well, if the Bridgeport is worn out and this one isn't. Seeing that it does have a vertical head, and people are always buying Bridgeports....
I broke the news to my dad, I think it went well... he said I can spend my money where I want but he's more concerned about me driving to where it is... and also using his truck or having to rent a truck

and I did mention possibly selling/removing all the stuff I didnt need like project bikes and maybe even the bridgeport

does universal just mean it can rotate? because im fairly sure it can. I just need to work up the courage to ask my dad... maybe I should make a slide presentation of why its a good idea
Universal means the table swivels. Combine with a universal dividing head and cutting spirals and helical bevel gears becomes easy. Opens up a whole new world.
The vertical head is just that, a fixed vertical head but there are universal heads as well.
The bad is that documentation is often hard to find, the good is that as an industrial machine everything is made to a standard and most parts are interchangeable with many other makes.
A mention of a Wesbury by Induma on Practicla Machinest: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/wesbury-mill-195351/
Scroll down about 1/2 way.

I broke the news to my dad, I think it went well... he said I can spend my money where I want but he's more concerned about me driving to where it is... and also using his truck or having to rent a truck
Ask your Dad if he is up for a road trip adventure. Sounds like a good time to really get to know each other and you are at a good age.

Universal means the table swivels. Combine with a universal dividing head and cutting spirals and helical bevel gears becomes easy. Opens up a whole new world.
The vertical head is just that, a fixed vertical head but there are universal heads as well.
The bad is that documentation is often hard to find, the good is that as an industrial machine everything is made to a standard and most parts are interchangeable with many other makes.
A mention of a Wesbury by Induma on Practicla Machinest: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/wesbury-mill-195351/
Scroll down about 1/2 way.
was reading the post and like the guy said it was imported into Westbury N.Y. by Maserati so that's pretty cool.

Ask your Dad if he is up for a road trip adventure. Sounds like a good time to really get to know each other and you are at a good age.
that sounds like conversations im not ready for hahahaha. yea hes not super interested in me driving to long island to pick it up. not to mention I'm not even sure the guy selling it can load it on to a trailer so that would prove to be a huge problem

Just to put things in perspective this machine has been up for sale since July of 2018. There are currently 92 people watching it. While it does have a vertical head the head doesn't have a quill like a Bridgeport. There is another similar size machine on eBay with the weight listed as 5,600 lbs. The spindle motor is listed as being 7 hp with the feed motor being 2 hp.

We had a similar size horizontal mill in our shop. In the scheme of things t was the least used machine. Because of it's size and difficulty to change from horizontal to vertical it ended up gathering dust more often than being used. It was eventually sold to make room for a Tree brand vertical mill. I currently have a much smaller horizontal mill in my shop. Again it gets used far less than the Bridgeport.

They are fine machines and do have a place in a production or repair shop. In this case however I believe it would quickly become a boat anchor, or place to store unused junk.

Just to put things in perspective this machine has been up for sale since July of 2018. There are currently 92 people watching it. While it does have a vertical head the head doesn't have a quill like a Bridgeport. There is another similar size machine on eBay with the weight listed as 5,600 lbs. The spindle motor is listed as being 7 hp with the feed motor being 2 hp.

We had a similar size horizontal mill in our shop. In the scheme of things t was the least used machine. Because of it's size and difficulty to change from horizontal to vertical it ended up gathering dust more often than being used. It was eventually sold to make room for a Tree brand vertical mill. I currently have a much smaller horizontal mill in my shop. Again it gets used far less than the Bridgeport.

They are fine machines and do have a place in a production or repair shop. In this case however I believe it would quickly become a boat anchor, or place to store unused junk.
from what I have read it should weigh less than 4000 but I do get why you would say it would become a boat anchor. I didnt realize its been for sale for that long, any ideas why that might be? I know I wont use it all that much but im no business looking for ease of use im a kid looking for cool machines to design projects around

Back