Your favorite youtube machinists?

Great thread and thanks for new names to check out! Most of the names I know and subscribe to but like factorydragon87 or El Metal I'd never heard of and subscribed. It's so incredible to have this wide variety of folks to choose from with their different styles. Some appeal, some don't. Like P.Waller said sometimes too much talky talky and some guys just are too naturally laid back for me. That's when the speed up feature comes in handy. I'm so glad all these guys share their work and knowledge because it's twice as much work to shoot it and edit it.

Submachine, THATLAZYMACHINIST AND mrpete222 are very good for a beginner, and that's about 500 videos right there.
Actually, Lyle Peterson (mrpete222, tubalcain) has over a thousand videos by himself, with new ones coming out constantly! I agree with these two for beginners (but not just for beginners) because they both have some organized courses for study on various topics.

because it's twice as much work to shoot it and edit it.
Sometimes more. A 1 hour project takes about 3 hours to video, edit, and upload on average for me.

Sometimes more. A 1 hour project takes about 3 hours to video, edit, and upload on average for me.

I can believe it and I thought I was being waaaaay to conservative. One guy I've just subscribed to spends up to 40hrs editing for one 20min episode. I could say that's too much but I'm really meticulous and slow and I can see how it would get away from me. I've done my own audio editing for one of our music projects and that was a huge time sink. I don't know how you guys find the time......

Any of the ones who actually edit their videos.

Its easier for me to list the ones I dont like.
I detest the wafflers who take ages to get to the point, out of focus tromboning and zero editing.
Maybe thats why I prefer Chris or Clickspring's videos.

The problem with Chris @Clickspring videos is that I sit (or lay there) gawking & muttering "how the h*ll does he do that" and I keep rewinding to view again. :grin:
His talent and 'touch' are simply amazing, as are his editing skills.
I get a kick out of when ToT, Chris, Stephen, & Abom collaborate on an episode.
ToT must spend a lot of time and effort putting his together.
In general it must be a 3:1 or 5:1 ratio of time to put together a decent episode. Which then raises the question how much ends up cut out.
So much better than network shows.
I've started to keeping notes on some of the techniques that I see, I hope to someday put them to use.

Its easier for me to list the ones I dont like.
I detest the wafflers who take ages to get to the point, out of focus tromboning and zero editing.
Maybe thats why I prefer Chris or Clickspring's videos.

I attempted to watch a few how-to videos several years ago and found them tedious at best and many do not concentrate on the concepts that people want to learn.

Entirely to verbose, a simple description of an operation would be far easier to follow for many people.

Back