Your favorite youtube machinists?

I attempted to watch a few how-to videos several years ago and found them tedious at best and many do not concentrate on the concepts that people want to learn.

Entirely to verbose, a simple description of an operation would be far easier to follow for many people.

Not being a machinist by trade I love the way Mr.Pete, TOT, and Joe Pie break things down like how my favorite teachers of old used to do. Lots of hi timers are not teachers and in their haste to get er done don't think like a noob and will bypass over some concept that is crucial but totally old hat to them and once I lose that train I'm lost.

For me I can't have too much meandering and can't be so dry in the delivery. It's tough to teach and especially without an audience. They are doing it with no feedback whatsoever. I also notice I can't just come on to these different guys without a need. I look something up and one of their episodes on the thing I'm trying to learn and if it works, then I can go through other vids. Another guy thats focused and is never boring for me is John at NYCNC. I wish I could run CAD the way he does.

Which ones are the best for a beginner in a home shop?

"Rolingmetal" hasn't been mentioned yet.

He is a Dutch guy with a very dry wit, who's just starting out in metal working. He makes mistakes and has no problem showing them on video. I watch him for his entertainment value - and to make sure I don't make his mistakes.

But the best teachers for the beginner, in my opinion, are tubalcain (mrpete222) and That Lazy Machinist. Plus if you want to get some of the very basic fundamentals, there is a very old tutorial series that MIT put out in the 90's starring Eric Vaaler. The videos are loaded with facts, but it's like watching a silent movie with a robotic character in a laboratory setting.

"Rolingmetal" hasn't been mentioned yet.

He is a Dutch guy with a very dry wit, who's just starting out in metal working. He makes mistakes and has no problem showing them on video. I watch him for his entertainment value - and to make sure I don't make his mistakes.

But the best teachers for the beginner, in my opinion, are tubalcain (mrpete222) and That Lazy Machinist. Plus if you want to get some of the very basic fundamentals, there is a very old tutorial series that MIT put out in the 90's starring Eric Vaaler. The videos are loaded with facts, but it's like watching a silent movie with a robotic character in a laboratory setting.

Mr.Pete reminds me of my first metal shop teacher in 7th grade. I was one of the few who really wanted to be there. All my shop teachers had to go through that where most of the guys wanted to just skate. Sad waste of his time. Even the episodes of Mr.Pete's where I thought it was old material he still taught me some detail I didn't know. I'll have to check out That Lazy Machinst.

Metal forming is a new passion for me and started with TinMan. Then Lazzemetalshaping, Wray Shelin and Hotrod Hippie. I'm not a Hotrod guy but have always wanted to do sheetmetal like Randy Grubb. His stuff is rolling art. We don't have network tv and I watch one of my YouTube subscriptions almost every night.

Several years ago I discovered Mr.Pete and was amazed at his vast knowledge and teaching abilities, which kind of got me hooked on machining. He sure reminds me of the shop teachers I had back in the sixties, where does the time go? I remember Abom79 when he posted a link to his first video on this website, been a follower ever since.
Some of my other favorites that I follow regularly are Keith Fenner, Keith Rucker, This Old Tony, Bcblock and Randy Richard. There are a lot more out there and I think it’s great that they take the time and effort to make these videos for all of us to enjoy.

John Creasey is another, I believe that he's from DownUnder, however he hasn't posted anything in over a year, Hope he is OK.
Then there's also a young kid "Build Fix Create", (30ish) up in Northern Illinois, and he's done a few interesting ones.
I found his channel via his really cool hammer that he made up for the raffle at BarZ, and he's got a decent video on reworking the half-nuts on a Logan. He also has a cool tracer attachment on his Logan.

Without any question , my favorite by FAR ! :encourage:

We have a 4020 Fadal, a guy was drilling holes in 110" lengths of 4 X 7.25 ss channels held in 3 vices, the side doors were removed because the parts protruded several feet outside the enclosure.

He set everything up, pushed the start button and the table did a rapid move 100-200 IPM or so toward the spindle, the part hit the yellow roof column in the background. This made a good deal of noise and 50 years of dust fell from the ceiling.
It rotated the 12,000 Lb machine and bent the part. The only damage done was the bent part. I wish that I had taken a video.

One of the first jobs that I did in this shop was drilling and tapping holes on the edge of a 36" aluminum disc using an ancient, very large radial drill press.

Needless to say I powered the beam up the column until the top of the spindle hit the insulation on the ceiling just missing the electrical conduits, this would have made a very amusing video.

I can imagine a y-tube video producer narrating this.

"Today I will show you how to drill and tap holes on the edge of a large round plate.
First raise the beam in order to clear the part, this is done by starting the motor then unlocking the column locks, move the beam travel lever in the up direction until there is enough clearance for the tool above the part."

Then a loud exclamation of oh s**t as parts of the ceiling rain down upon his head.
Endless entertainment (-:

Another I'd add to the list:

"Build Something Cool"

Ever since this post started I may be missing the FB games today.This is a fantastic post

Back