2014 POTD Thread Archive

Nice thinking on the "combo tool". :thumbzup: If you have issues with it coming loose I'd give Loctite "green" a try before brazing it. - http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_green/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Green-290.htm

-Ron
Thanks, Ron. I don't know how long I've been using the various flavors of Loctite, but never did figure out the difference between lime and cherry. Guess I shoulda gone to the source a long time ago!

Plus, the short leg of the hex key can act as a crank handle to speed up opening of closing the jaws. :)

Ken
Good grief, Ken! I didn't even see that. Thanks!

Today i cleaned a lathe chuck,
doesn't sound like much but i was trying out the electrolysis method of removing rust, i'm happy with how it worked.
It started out looking like this
20140408_101438.jpg

To this

20140410_122152.jpg

And finished up like this

20140409_173230.jpg

Not a bad result but i have a lot to do before i'm finished.
Heres the rest of the tooling that i found for the storebro, it has been sitting in a wooden crate in a leaky shed for ten years, i think it'll all clean up though.

20140407_182819.jpg

Nice job on the chuck clean up....What are u using for a power source, what voltage/amps, and what are u putting in the bath ???

I used an old newarc inverter welder, runninh at about 40v and about 8 amps.
The bath is washing soda and water

I didn't exactly do this in one day but I did a total restoration on my D675 Kurt vise. I surface ground every part and did a fresh paint job.udurequd.jpg
ubytenej.jpg

sent from my hand held hickymajig

gone fishin,

caught 2 big sticks and thought about all my future projects the whole time.

I made a couple of handles for blacksmith hammers. I had some hickory with nice close, straight grain and hadn't made a handle before. Roughed them out on the wood lathe then used planes and spoke shaves to do the final fit. After the wooden wedges in the head I made steel wedges on the shaper and pounded them home.
Michael

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

The chuck that came on my dividing head was a nice 6 1/4" 3-jaw. Unfortunately, the size of it prevents a bolt from being used in the front slot when mounting the DH on the mill table. I have a 5" 4-jaw that has a backing plate with a hole just a bit smaller than the minor diameter needed for the M30 x 3 spindle thread. Easy to use a carbide boring bar to take it to the right size.

When it came time to cut the internal thread, I needed to make a split sleeve to mount my 1/2" boring bar with the threading bit. Cut a piece of 3/4" CRS, drill and ream to 1/2", slit on the horizontal mill - done deal.

Pretty standard threading job, after I had swapped out some gears to cut a metric thread.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8111.jpg

When the thread was 'visually' complete, I tried it out without removing the plate from the 4-jaw on the lathe. Since a 10 1/2" is a bit too heavy to spin off and screw onto a dividing head, I had to set the DH up to the hole on the lathe and crank it into the hole. It takes quite a while to crank in a 40:1 DH. I'm just glad it was already the right size. Nice snug fit.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8112.jpg

After the fit was proven, I cut a 1/4" deep section at major diameter. The backing plate tightens up very nicely on the DH spindle.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8113.jpg

The end result is that I can attach the DH to the mill table much more easily.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8114.jpg

Nice project Mike, I have a rotary table with a 3 jaw true set chuck on it and it is dead nuts, I'm making (along with Benny) the stepper motor drive dividing head system that was posted here & in Digital Machining for it. Luckily it's horizontal/vertical. I also have a Hardinge 5C index spinner I'll use with it too.

Back