2014 POTD Thread Archive

I bought a second flat back canoe a few weeks back so that the whole family can go out at the same time. Unfortunately, the racks on my truck were far to narrow to carry them both. No problem. I made up these add-ons tonight after work. Bring on summer !!! :)

20140414_202255_zpsedd94bfe.jpg

Tired of the grimey shop press....

Top cleaned and fresh paint
ve3ataru.jpg

Cut a new 1 1/4" press punch
vejaqymy.jpg

Ready to go
bygu3u2u.jpg
e5e9urud.jpg

Botom half next time.....

A few new plates while I was at it...
ehy3e2ev.jpg

Last edited:
How long you figure you let that sit in the coals? Do you air cool or under coal or what?

WRT post #1094. Very sorry sir....I completely missed it when you posted the question. Better late than never I guess. LOL. I just let the bolts sit in the fireplace all night. I probably feed new wood in there as required for 4 hours or so. I let the fire burn itself out, and pull them out of the ashes the next night before I light the fire again.

I built an adapter to add a light to one of my KO Lee tool & cutter grinders. I picked up the light at a local thrift shop for $3. I have no idea how this light originally was attached to anything. It has a 7/8" dia. cylindrical base (which conveniently fit almost perfectly inside a size of tubing I had around) with a plastic hook on it. The lamp cover has a cartoon character's face on it. I cut off the length of tubing with its attached bracket and then cut down the bracket and rewelded it to adapt it to a vertical position as seen in the photos below. I'd be curious to know what the lamp came from if anybody recognizes what it is. I have a second one just like it in black that I think I'll add to my Bridgeport.
01 Materials (Large).JPG02 Materials (Large).JPG03 Rear of the adapter in place (Large).JPG04 Light on KO Lee overview (Large).JPG

01 Materials (Large).JPG 02 Materials (Large).JPG 03 Rear of the adapter in place (Large).JPG 04 Light on KO Lee overview (Large).JPG

All cool projects here.
I got a little time during lunch and knocked out this T Slot nut for the Logan lathe. Still need to drill and tap for the bolt but that is the easy part.
it sure is nice to be able the make the parts you need and not have to buy china crap all the time. unygu8yd.jpg

9apesama.jpg

Stealing the idea, and further improvement on my shop press....
u2uda4u6.jpg

Nice quick little project, bore .002 undersize and press fit

Now that the G0602 has been erected, it's time to start putting the mill back together. As sometimes happens when you take someone's design, modify it, then bench age the project for 3 months, things are not where I thought they were.

First, the Y-axis bearing pocket was not deep enough to accommodate the lock nut. I got to play with the 4-jaw chuck to mount the bearing block and bore it out some more. It was surprisingly easy to get the pocket mounted with less than a mil of run out.
Lathe-1.jpg
And I hadn't gotten around to threading the shaft before leaving the project. So I got to set up my brand new lathe to thread the shaft 12-1.5mm. I turned the chuck manually with a big hex wrench because I'm sure that I'm not fast enough to thread at 150rpm. The insert chipped part way through, which made for a minor excitement. The nuts go on, so I rate my first threads on this machine a success.
Lathe-2.jpg
The shaft and bearings fit, so tomorrow I'll shorten the shaft for the coupler to go on all the way and order the motor.

Lathe-3.jpg

Larry

Lathe-1.jpg Lathe-2.jpg Lathe-3.jpg

I turned the chuck manually with a big hex wrench because I'm sure that I'm not fast enough to thread at 150rpm.

Larry,
Can you elaborate on how you did that? I'm sure it's probably something obvious, but I have the same lathe and have been wondering how to 1) turn the chuck manually, and 2) locking the spindle (for manual broaching).
Thanks!

Back