Vevor 8x14 tailstock headache

Amen, except Vevor doesn't make anything. Vevor is a bargan basement importer / reseller with little or no knowledge of what they are selling.
The reviews i posted I haven't ever seen any reviews on amazon that bad before,
I don't know who makes Vevor Lathes, but I will pass.

I apologize, I haven't read the entire thread but just wanted to chime in that this is how all Chinese mini lathes are. Some are probably more noticeable than others, but if you were to blue the bottom of the head stock / tail stock you will see that all of them are aligned to the bed and each other using three points of contact. Two on the V way and one on the flat way for the tail stock or an adjusting bolt in the case of the headstock. If you think about it it makes complete sense. Doing it the correct way takes an extreme amount of time and precision. I did it the correct way for my own mini lathe. I leveled the bed, took the head stock off, and hand scraped it into the bed while measuring and aligning. Then I did the same for the base of the tail stock. It took a long time to do the work, and even more to do the research to learn how to do it properly. It's not a big surprise that a cheap, mass produced hobby lathe would take a short cut for the most labor and time intensive part of the entire production. The point is that if you want to return it, go for it but the next one is going to be the same. Maybe it won't be visually as apparent, which may make you feel better about it, but functionally it's going to be exactly the same.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but I recently purchased a Vevor MX-8x14. I have included an image the tail stock mounted. The tail stock is, indeed, narrower than the bed width. The tail stock definitely sits flat. Though, the front of the tail stock base is taller than he rear. You may also note the label on the end of the bed picturing the ways does not match the ways of the machine. I believe this machine to be as purchased by the gentleman I purchased it from.

Attachments

• 20240402_194217[1].jpg
    20240402_194217[1].jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 29
I don't see anything wrong. The tailstock should be narrower since it fits in between the carriage .. the label is nothing.. its showing you where it should be touching on the ways and what needs to be oiled.

Old post I know
I will add this

I think a lot of these machines are put to gether with random parts , maybe left over from contract runs ?
It really shows when theres so many similar models and different features. Heck you can have different parts on the same model line.

Best thing to do is use the power of your CC . My card carrier has been outstanding in getting sellers to fix problems.

I know this thread is old, but I recently purchased a Vevor MX-8x14. I have included an image the tail stock mounted. The tail stock is, indeed, narrower than the bed width. The tail stock definitely sits flat. Though, the front of the tail stock base is taller than he rear. You may also note the label on the end of the bed picturing the ways does not match the ways of the machine. I believe this machine to be as purchased by the gentleman I purchased it from.
Does the spindle sit true to the bed/head stock.
Does the head stock have the same design?

Here's a pic I found online that shows what I'm talking about: note that the tailstock rests on the (backside) vee, and on the front way, but it there are no other bearing surfaces. This makes sense if I "do the math": more bearing surfaces would make it much harder to keep it all in alignment, while providing essentially no value.
The problem with mine is not the vee-plus-single-way-bearing: I think that's normal (PLEASE send me pics if you've got something else, I'm just not seeing it). The problem is that the way bearing surface was never milled, so it sat on a single edge, which would likely wear a groove in the way eventually (unless the way is hardened and all the wear occurs on the tailstock: I have heard that these mini-lathes typically do come with induction-hardened ways, though I don't know how well that's done: I'll try to test mine against some known materials soon).

View attachment 443127
I think they figured ouy the could eliminate the 2nd prism , flip the tail stock base 180 and call it “good enough”

Ok so unless the head stock follows the same angles as the crooked tail stock you really cant get a good tail stock to spindle alignment?

The tail stock is not level with the bed so any left to right movement of the tail stock on the base is going to cause the nose of the tailstock to go up or down , right?

Attachments

• IMG_4419.jpeg
    IMG_4419.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 14
Back