1st,& 2nd knurl

You need a tiny bit more pressure. See the craters on the peaks? You want most of that gone; just a tiny bit of crater is ideal.

There is very little flaking so that's really good. Now try increasing your speed and you'll see the pattern smooth out.

Getting there, Mike. Pattern is a lot more even now that you're locking the tension jam nut down.

Dang those are really looking good.
I need to dig out my knurling tool and try some of these ideas.
Joe

If I have my dials right this is the fastest speed in the low range for power feed, or up chuck RPM? If I didn't touch anything after the knurl, the RPM was 570. I have got to get a better view of the first impression, that is challenging to me
Thank you Joe, definitely a learning curve. There are excellent teachers here.

Last edited:
If I have my dials right this is the fastest speed in the low range for power feed, or up chuck RPM? If I didn't touch anything after the knurl, the RPM was 570. I have got to get a better view of the first impression, that is challenging to me
Thank you Joe, definitely a learning curve. There are excellent teachers here.

Nah, leave it at that speed.

On the first impression thing, turn the chuck by hand and watch the pattern. Blow it out with compressed air if you have to but watch the formation of the peak. You'll see the crater start to disappear as you slowly increase pressure. When you have just a trace of the crater left, stop and lock the jam nut down, then run the knurl.

I think your knurls will improve after you install the convex knurls. Hang in there; you're getting better fast!

Thank you, my view plane to the first knurls is limited, I may need a mirror, more light, or better eyes. :rolleyes:
I also just ordered 3ea .750 x 12" SS drops for 50 bucks delivered

Last edited:
looks good to me! Don't forget to flood it with kerosene if you're working with alu. To be honest the only nit I would pick would be with the milled groove, that's alot of chatter you have there. Unsupported work? Full depth pass? Maybe up the speed a bunch and cut the grooves in 2 passes?

I did my first proper knurl this weekend. Doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours, but it was a push knurl on a tiny lathe (Atlas 618) so it came out better than expected. Good enough for my QCTP holder height adjusters :)

Thank you, my view plane to the first knurls is limited, I may need a mirror, more light, or better eyes. :rolleyes:
I also just ordered 3ea .750 x 12" SS drops for 50 bucks delivered

Use a mirror if you have to but you have to get that first track and pattern right if you plan to run that SS you ordered. Hope it was 303 but any kind of stainless will work harden so you want the finished depth established before you run the knurl. Trying to run a knurl on a work hardened piece can destroy the knurl quickly.

Will has a lot more experience running work hardening materials than I do and can give you better guidance.

I will need the help, it's 304 SS that I ordered. Not sure what grade is used for salt water gaff handles.
Matt the mill slot is done with lowish RPM, and slow feed with a 2 flute bull nose cutter. I was trying to see if I could get a pattern going. I'll have to see if I like a polished look too. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, 304 has better corrosion resistance than 303 but 303 is much easier to work with. All the more reason to learn how to get that pattern established before you knurl it.

I'm expecting the 304 to be hard to learn, but gonna give it a shot.

Back