1st,& 2nd knurl

Here's a couple examples of the square frag pattern I was talking about.

uploadfromtaptalk1415062437957.jpgw_mule_wip-26.jpg

Done by Fred Pilon aka Photon Fanatic. Fred does some amazing unbelievable manual machine work. I used to drool over his stuff & owned a couple of his flashlights.

I was really suprised when one day he contacted me to ask if I could supply some knurled blanks for him. I was honored & of course I couldn't say no. One of the blanks turned into this flashlight.
knurledtircr123_wip-18.jpg

He also contracted me to build the light engines for one of the model flashlights he was selling. That's what these circled in red were.
20200217_201436.jpg

Those light engines went into these flashlights.
TasklightOnFlexibleArm400.jpg

Man do I really miss my flashlight modding days. But I don't miss the total lack of free time which is why I quit. It took me like 6 months to clear my backlog after I stopped accepting new orders.

I just barely got out of the other thread about lights without buying one, it was close though.....
Those are some nicely done bodies.

Will, how much do those custom flashlights go for?

Not sure about these days but custom titanium flashlights easily fetched $500- $1000+ & they went up in value second hand depending on the maker & rarity. The one I carry made by Mcgizmo was $420 or something like that direct from him if you got your hands one one but always go for much more second hand due to the popularity of Don's lights & the limited runs. He lives in HI too.

Fred's (Photon Fanatic) custom Ti lights I imagine easily cost around $1k or more. Exotic metals like damasacs, mokume, timascas, etc fetch a lot more due to the high cost of the materials.

Not sure about these days but custom titanium flashlights easily fetched $500- $1000+ & they went up in value second hand depending on the maker & rarity. The one I carry made by Mcgizmo was $420 or something like that direct from him if you got your hands one one but always go for much more second hand due to the popularity of Don's lights & the limited runs. He lives in HI too.

Fred's (Photon Fanatic) custom Ti lights I imagine easily cost around $1k or more. Exotic metals like damasacs, mokume, timascas, etc fetch a lot more due to the high cost of the materials.

Wow ... just wow!

Mikey do you remember what IPD stand for in local terminology?

IPEELDISSY

Wow ... just wow!

That's nothing. Custom knives are even crazier! I've never paid more than $500- $600 for a flashlight or knife though. That's my limit. Anything more than that & I won't even take it out of the house. Heck I have $300 knives that have never seen day light.

I got issues, I seem to always pick the expensive hobbies unknowingly that I can't afford. Cars, RC cars, flashlights, knives, machining. Of all my hobbies though machining has cost me the most by far. Hopefully this my last expensive hobby.

Yeah, Will, you are sick ... but you got company! I got into photography in 1968 and I never stopped - that is a deeeep hole! I have so many hobbies that cost money that its a wonder I'm not flat broke. I have to agree, though, that machining is the worst!

Back