1st,& 2nd knurl

Will has a lot more experience running work hardening materials than I do and can give you better guidance.

Mike (Aukai), the things I mentioned earlier about locking cross slide, compound slide, compound slide orientation, lock nut on the knurling tool, etc may all come in to play when you start knurling that 304. You may not need to but start with those things if it gives you trouble. Be sure to keep the work cool as 304 will harden easily. Least amount of passes as possible. Attempting a full knurl in one or 2 passes will require a lot of force & is why the things above will help.

Thanks for the heads up Will

You're gonna love those Accu-Trak convex wheels. They make a big difference over beveled wheels when traversing. They're made of cobalt, yrs ago they switch from TiN to AlTiN or something like that (used to be gold color, my last pair were dark grey). They last a while if not abused. Only down side to the convex wheels is they won't knurl up to a shoulder nicely since they're convex but I can live with that.

Oh & when you install the carbide pins, apply a light coat of EP grease for the wheels so they don't run dry right off the bat. After that, when you flood the knurls while knurling they should stay lubricated fine.

More lube! Lots of lube.
And once you get the 'good' wheels in that will make a big difference.
I started out scavenging wheels off of an import for my home-brew tool, then bought some NOS Armstrongs on eBay. Night and day difference.
In addition to all the recommendations listed above. . .

Thank you guys :encourage:

Ebay kept bugging me, so I made an offer for 50 bucks, and they took it. I cannot get any images of what the pattern is going to look like, anyone have pictures, or a link?

Last edited:
50 TPI is really fine, good for smaller diameters. The larger the diameter the finer it will get.

Looks like it's just LH knurls so no diamond pattern, just a single diagonal knurl.

Yeah, that is a drawback, that is what I paid for a pair of wheels from Accu trak, so it was just a what the hell purchase. If I like it, I'll look for a right.

I just ordered 2 sets of knurls from Accutrak. I guess I'm building a knurling tool in another thread!
Knurlophobic Robert

Back