2013 POTD Thread Archive

Welding :welding: up a 5 antenna mount bracket for a ham radio enthusiast. It will eventually sit on top of a mast bolted to the top of his pole building. 1.5" X 1/4" 6061 angle with some machined mounts for securing various geeky radio antennas. They give him the ability to do everything from act as a input point for truck and aircraft transponders on something called APRS, to talking with other hams half way around the world...and then all of the sudden I had a fire. Welder burned up internally. First it shorted out with a shower of sparks, then tripped the main in the shop and was under a pretty good flame-e-age, so I though what the heck, I might as well get the extinguisher. Fortunately, after the breaker tripped, I could see my way around the shop with the flames... Really didn't know what to do since the flames were inside the box, so I just discharged the extinguisher into the welder case, just as it started roaring black smoke. I only panicked :panic: when I couldn't wheel it out of the garage because the plug was trapped behind other immovable stuff! Thank God I had the garage a whole lot more organized than I did when I had the machine tools all apart recently, or I'd have never been able to get to the welder. I put off the urge to call 911 and hit it one more time with the extinguisher instead. That was over an hour ago. It's sitting outside now. I think the fire is out for good. I'll check it one more time before bed, but I'm out an expen$ive welder. :bawling:

Might be a while till I get the bracket done now.

I hardly ever used the high voltage side of this machine. Thick aluminum requires the most amperage, so I was closer to the duty cycle limits. It's a 40% duty cycle machine. Without water cooling however, and asking for 130 amps or 65% power, I likely came closer to the limit than I have in a long time.

The machine is one of the first single phase industrial TIG welders Miller mass produced. Every supply house counter guy, or pro welder I ever discussed it with, said that it was the best all around stick machine money could buy, but only marginal as a TIG source. I think it's about 943 years old. still called it a Heli-arc machine back then, a precursor to Miller's Dialarc 250 series and the "synchrowave" line. I know because I shop them every year :ebay: and check craig'slist from time to time, but can never justify the price for the full aerospace or a 260DX. Those are all solid state electronic. Mine actually has two giant commutators that manually screw in and out to increase or decrease induction, thereby controlling amperage. It was originally designed to be water cooled. They sold a plastic 10 gallon tub that sat under the machine or you could hook up supplied water and drain it to waste. I've never hooked up water to it, because the previous owner never did and he ran a fab shop. It wasn't behaving well tonight. Sparked and spattered a lot as the high frequency selector seemed to be misbehaving. I was having a tough time getting the arc to stabilize for any length of time. Now I know why.

Photos in the morning once I get the shroud off, but only after a good night's sleep.

Not a story i was looking forward to reading..... I hope it's not a total write off, but from the sounds of it, it's in a very bad way. You can use it as an excuse to buy a bigger and better machine! Thankfully i have never had a welder self destruct, i rely on my inverter welder a lot and hope it never lets it's magical smoke out.

coveroff_zpsc5d0366c.jpg

Took the cover off and blew all the fire suppressant out...

firedpoo_zpsd97d263a.jpg

The point of the melt down

firemug_zpsc9b05ad9.jpg

Not much damage considering how much it smoked and flamed.

I don't think I exceeded the 40% duty time limit, but none the less this is a good lesson in the fact that older machines, although built like tanks (this one in 1974), may not have the same protection features that more modern equipment may have. Had this been a solid state machine it would have protected itself...then again it wouldn't have near the scrap value. I bet there's 130 pounds of copper in this monster!

coveroff_zpsc5d0366c.jpg

firedpoo_zpsd97d263a.jpg

firemug_zpsc9b05ad9.jpg

Which component did. The smoke come from? May be able to put it back in. Is that black mark on the heat sink an electrical arc.

Last edited:
I couldn't see the place that let it's smoke out either.... Was it a transformer winding that burnt or was it something easily replaced?

I highly doubt the issue was the duty cycle, these older machines can take a lot of abuse. The newer ones do end to have protection built into them, as you stated. I have a 160 amp inverter welder, i can lay a 3.2mm rod at full power, then it wants to have a nap to cool down, you simply can't kill it.

It's good it has a lot of copper, but still better if it was all in working order :)

Looks like the transformer heated up and caught fire. Bummer,

I've got an '86 vintage Lincoln idealarc DC250 that weighs about 800lbs that I bought brand new . I hope it has a lot more life left in it as it really hasn't seen much use.

Don't get too hasty on scrapping it just yet, I bought a Nappa tig/stick welder that was not in working order but had brand new stick leads (no tig) for $75.00 I tried it out and it would barely arc so I gutted it to get my money back and keep the case for a cool welding cart for my Millermatic 140. Internally it was all aluminum and I stupidly scrapped the leads and got most of my money back but just days after I met a friend who had a friend that could have fixed it for a mere $30. So ask around in your group of friends for an electronics expert. If you do have to scrap it you'll do better than me though, Good luck.

Re: POTD - Project of the Day- Organized my 13/16 Button Dies

Been working on this off and on for 3 weeks and finished the labeling today. You can see my 4-80 TPI gauge, Die Handle, Allen Wrench, Screwdriver, Fishtail, Feeler gauge. This was an empty cigar box that I put to better use, body filled sanded and sprayed with some left over PPG Concept paint. The inside is a solid piece of Mahogany that I milled, the thumb nail for the dies was done by elevating the board in the mill vise and touching with a 3/4 end mill. The home made screwdriver slot is milled deeper on the handle end so you can push it down and the blade end will pop up. The Allen was drilled and driven into the wood to form a hex so it would not turn. The under side of the Mahogany has been hollowed out to store extra dies and left handed one that are rarely used any more and the entire piece can be lifted out, I then coated with a automotive clear coat to make it oil and cutting oil resistant. This layout was the 8th in a process of looking at it and then coming up with a better design until I settled on this final version. I put a small magnet under the fishtail to hold it in place.

View attachment 65547View attachment 65548

That Sir is one display of very fine meticulous craftsmanship. My hat's off to you sir. Gorgeous finished project. The magnet to hold your fish was the crowning touch.

Again, fine project well executed.

Took the cover off and blew all the fire suppressant out...
Make sure you do a extra thorough clean up and wipe down because most of the dry chemical powders are very corrosive. Especially on electrical components.

Back