2015 POTD Thread Archive

Made and installed a replacement muzzle brake on a 375 Winchester 14" contender barrel. Now I just wish it wasn't 40 below 0 with the wind today! I would like to get out and fire it a few times to see how it works! Happy new year all!

I didn't realize that you could own handguns in Canada. What is the law on that? To purchase a handgun here in PA "all" that's needed is a federal background check (criminal records check), which occurs at the store and is instantaneous.

Something I've been thinking about for a long time. The quill stop on my CNC mill is rarely used. When I want to just use it as a manual drill press (frequently), with 6" of 1/2-20 stop rod, it's a pain to move any distance. So, with ENCO's big discounts and free shipping, I decided to get one of their quick adjustable stops: http://www.use-enco.com/cgi/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-2178&PMPXNO=949443&PARTPG=INSRHI Wow! Two seconds to move it full length rather than several minutes....and a sore thumb. Still have the ability to tweak the depth in 0.0005" increments...assuming the threads are that accurate. Can't see why I waited so long. :)

Ken

I didn't realize that you could own handguns in Canada. What is the law on that? To purchase a handgun here in PA "all" that's needed is a federal background check (criminal records check), which occurs at the store and is instantaneous.

You are not alone, A very large section of the US population believes this same thing! While yes it is true that handguns are very tightly controlled here once a person is checked out and given a firearms licence (PAL) position aquisition licence it is quite often a one or two day affair to take your gun home. In some respects it is easier for me to sell a gun here than for you guy's down south! We do not have to send anything from an individual to a "ffl" dealer or anywhere else! Box it up and mail it to the new owner, and this is the same for long guns and handguns. When the new more controlling / intrusive laws were brought in about 10 years ago, it backfired! The end result is it has never been easier to own handguns here!

You are not alone, A very large section of the US population believes this same thing! While yes it is true that handguns are very tightly controlled here once a person is checked out and given a firearms licence (PAL) position aquisition licence it is quite often a one or two day affair to take your gun home. In some respects it is easier for me to sell a gun here than for you guy's down south! We do not have to send anything from an individual to a "ffl" dealer or anywhere else! Box it up and mail it to the new owner, and this is the same for long guns and handguns. When the new more controlling / intrusive laws were brought in about 10 years ago, it backfired! The end result is it has never been easier to own handguns here!

Just to add a bit more information for others who are unfamiliar with Canadian gun laws. There are 2 types of Possession and Acquisition Licenses available. One is for firearms considered "non-restricted" only. The other allows purchase and possession of "restricted" firearms which includes handguns and certain rifles. While you can own a handgun with a restricted PAL you must also prove membership to an approved shooting range facility and the handgun can only be transported to and from that facility for use there. So in essence we can own a handgun but can't take it anywhere except to the range. Being caught in possession of a handgun in any other circumstance is going to cause the handgun owner a lot of trouble and probably jail time.

John

Hi All
There is also another Pal designation in Canada, it is the prohibited class. It includes full auto's, short barrel hand guns such as those with less than a 105 mm barrel, all those hand guns that are of .25 or .32 caliber, and who knows what else. Only people who have been grandfathered are qualified to have this class of firearms. The use restrictions are the same as the restricted class which also AR type rifles and many other models. It's are real dogs breakfast, and the storage and transport regulations are so convoluted that charges can be brought on the whim of any police officer. Firearms owner beware our laws are anything but easy.

I did some more work on the 4 inch rotary table I am making for my Burke mill today. I started marking the degree markings on the outside.

4 in rotary table 2.jpg This is the setup for marking the degrees. I used my home made degree wheel with my shiny new pointer to index the positions.
4 in rotary table.jpg These are the 10 degree markings. I still have to do the 5 degree marks and then decide if there is room for one degree markings.

The next step will be to stamp the numbers. I needed a fixture to hold the stamps and keep them in line. This is what I came up with.

stamping fixture.jpg This is the fixture. It fits in a QCTP holder so I can use the lathe axis to line it up. The springs hold the stamp snugly in the slot and still let it slide when it is hit. There are two slots, one for 1/8" stamps and one for 1/16" stamps.
stamping fixture 3.jpg These two photos show the fixture on the lathe.
stamping fixture2.jpg

It seems to work pretty good. I am impressed with the results.

Mark Frazier

4 in rotary table.jpg stamping fixture.jpg stamping fixture 3.jpg stamping fixture2.jpg 4 in rotary table 2.jpg

In regard to # stamping items while in the lathe chuck. I was always worried that doing this could damage the spindle bearings. Is this fear un-founded. I do accept that it is usually a small punch and hammer and not a 8 lb swing/press ( sledge hammer ) .A little insight would be appreciated.

Stamping small numbers with a light tap is less harmful than a big interrupted cut. BUT .. I am sure there are a bunch of folks who disagree and that is ok. I have never hurt anything in over forty years, so I ain't gonna worry about it now. You could put a hardwood block under the chuck so it fits tight if it makes you feel better, but my opinion is it is not needed.

Mark Frazier

EDIT: Someone who worries about bearing damage could make another fixture to hold the part instead of the chuck also , I suppose.

Stamping small numbers with a light tap is less harmful than a big interrupted cut. BUT .. I am sure there are a bunch of folks who disagree and that is ok. I have never hurt anything in over forty years, so I ain't gonna worry about it now. You could put a hardwood block under the chuck so it fits tight if it makes you feel better, but my opinion is it is not needed.

Mark Frazier

EDIT: Someone who worries about bearing damage could make another fixture to hold the part instead of the chuck also , I suppose.

Thanks, I do feel better about it now! With the reassurance of the voice of experience!!! Besides that. If there were somebody here that had destroyed a set of bearings doing something like this, I feel relatively certain that there would have been widespread outcry about it. On that note, I believe I will "borrow" the design of punch holder you are employing!

Thanks, I do feel better about it now! With the reassurance of the voice of experience!!! Besides that. If there were somebody here that had destroyed a set of bearings doing something like this, I feel relatively certain that there would have been widespread outcry about it. On that note, I believe I will "borrow" the design of punch holder you are employing!

Like I said, " It only takes a light hit of the hammer". I only want to engrave my numbers, not deeply imbed them, and there aren't that many. If I wanted to really deeply imbed the stamp or was doing a lot of it, No , I probably would not use my chuck and do something else, but for a few dials here and there, I think this is OK. I would be more concerned if I had babbit bearings also, as they are soft. I scraped a lot of babbit bearings in Model T Fords. I know some really old lathes and other old machines used babbit bearings.

Mark Frazier

Back