2015 POTD Thread Archive

Yesterday morning after the wife and I got back from breakfast I decided to hurry and finish up my screw jacks that I had started before the holidays.

Completed.
2qbchfs.jpg

Broken down by components.
bjhh7d.jpg

2hn8hox.jpg

I made a couple of different height bases for a range of adjustability.
15mh7dk.jpg

Nothing really hi-tech but they work and were fun to make. I am going to make a couple of different size bases when I get some more time. Probably one shorter and one a bit longer than what I have now. I would also like to get a piece of UHMW or hard wood to make a storage tray for them and have a place on my shelf next to the mill.

2qbchfs.jpg

bjhh7d.jpg

2hn8hox.jpg

15mh7dk.jpg

2qbchfs.jpg

bjhh7d.jpg

2hn8hox.jpg

15mh7dk.jpg

They look great Mike, nice job!

Those are some really nice screw jacks. :thumbzup3:

Mark Frazier

I made a video. :whistle:

I am still editing the tons of footage I got of making the shaper rings. That will be done hopefully next week.

I hope everyone has a great 2015.

[video=youtube_share;9_oJ9NaYFB4]http://youtu.be/9_oJ9NaYFB4[/video]

I fixed the Maytag Drier! Scored some big points today, doing something of actual practical value, instead of messing with my toys!

A few weeks ago the drier was making a pretty bad squeal that I though was a belt about to shred so I put a new belt on it and it continued to make the same squeal. So, I looked a bit further and found the bronze bushing was shot. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled and reassembled but that only lasted a week to so. Yesterday I machined a new stud to fit some bearings that I had on hand that just happen to fit into the idler wheel. TADAAAAA! Better than new! Didn't get a picture of the finished install, but I wish I had just so I could tell myself "look, I can find useful thing to do with all that expensive stuff in the shop!"

jim

image.jpg

I fixed the Maytag Drier! Scored some big points today, doing something of actual practical value, instead of messing with my toys!

A few weeks ago the drier was making a pretty bad squeal that I though was a belt about to shred so I put a new belt on it and it continued to make the same squeal. So, I looked a bit further and found the bronze bushing was shot. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled and reassembled but that only lasted a week to so. Yesterday I machined a new stud to fit some bearings that I had on hand that just happen to fit into the idler wheel. TADAAAAA! Better than new! Didn't get a picture of the finished install, but I wish I had just so I could tell myself "look, I can find useful thing to do with all that expensive stuff in the shop!"

jim

Nice job Jim. It is a good feeling keeping our old appliances and assets running by using our equipment isn't it?

I kept our old Kenmore washer and dryer going until about a year ago when we upgraded. When my wife and I were married in 1989 my aunt gave us her old Kenmore washer and dryer, it was about 10 years old when we got it but I figured we could keep it going for a few years until we could afford to upgrade. We used that set it in the house we rented and then moved the same set into our new home in 1991 where it had worked great with very few repairs necessary. I had rebuilt a few various components over the years, actually a pretty reliable appliance, not too much cost of ownership. When my aunt passed away last year she willed her new Kenmore washer and dryer to us that was only about two years old. We gave our previous one away to a co-workers daughter who was just married and low on cash, so it was good to return the favor and see that old set still going strong.

I also had a bronze bushing on my garage door opener fail about three years ago and I was able to machine a new one from scrap pieces in my metal pile and not have to spend several hundred dollars on a new garage door opener as ours was discontinued and parts were no longer available. It was actually more quiet than I remember it being in many years.

Awesome use of machinery/equipment/tools to keep our places up to tip top condition.

Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Jim, I also just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum, welcome.

jim

Awesome! I love it when i can fix household stuff with my lathe instead of just making more stuff for the lathe

Back