2015 POTD Thread Archive

fixed a lamp we were given a while back

finished making a new light for the garage
IMG_3719.JPGIMG_3721.JPG

got another one to make to fill in that dark spot on the right :)

IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3721.JPG

Made and installed a replacement muzzle brake on a 375 Winchester 14" contender barrel. The brake itself is made from forged 4140 steel ( heavy truck air brake camshaft ) Then blackened with Caswells black oxide kit. The flash really seems to cut thru the black oxide as it is much nicer in person! The end of the BBL. is threaded 11/16-24 tpi ( not out of convenience ) it left me extra "meat" on the outside chance something went south!!! An were forced to re cut and thread to the next smaller size. Please escuse the dog hair that appear as a scratch or two! And to answer the next question, it isn't as heavy and bulky as it appears! Now I just wish it wasn't 40 below 0 with the wind today! I would like to get out and fire it a few times to see how it works! Happy new year all!
Looks great, let us know now it works. Bob

fixed a lamp we were given a while back

finished making a new light for the garage

got another one to make to fill in that dark spot on the right :)

that must be some light in order to have a heat sink like that!

that must be some light in order to have a heat sink like that!

I actually thought the driver was going to put out more current, so it's a bit overkill as is :) Still, LEDs like being cool and get dimmer the hotter they are, so it's not going to hurt. Plus I can always add a 2nd LED in parallel if I want more light.

Another part for my Mustang. I needed an adapter plate to mount to the firewall for the brake master cylinder as I'm running manual brakes. The mounting holes in the firewall are for the brake booster to mount into. These plates are commercially available from racing shops, but why pay them $100 for something I can make out of $15 worth of 6061 aluminum. The plate needs to angle the MC upwards to get the correct alignment of the pushrod from the pedal so It was a bit tricky to do that process as all the holes for the MC are at an angle too. It fits perfectly, now I just need to fabricate the adjustable pushrod. I used some long bolts with are full length threads screwed in through the front of the plate to mount it for now, but will replace those with studs when I do the final assembly. I'll also use studs and nuts for the MC to the plate instead of the bolts.

2015-01-06%2012-52-18%20-%2003.jpg

100_0632.JPG100_0633.JPG

just another radius ball cutter , almost done should finish tomorrow just need to ad carbide cutter to tool and drill
and tap for the set screws to hold cutter post and my snap ring to hold top and bottom , and im ready this one can cut up to 3 inch ball or a bit better , don't think i will ever need one that big but oh well, i can. this is for my Harrison, got the bigger lathe need a bigger cutter,l i will put a bit more finesse on it and take a pic mounted on the lathe

100_0632.JPG 100_0633.JPG

Very quick rough and ready job.
4 8mm transfer screws for when I make the chuck backplate

transfer screws.jpg

No, they are not all the same length, I did say it was rough and ready:lmao:

transfer screws.jpg

Today I got my drill-press and shaper home, which I bought a few weeks back.
The drill-press is a large one. With a cone MK 4 capable of drilling holes of 50 mm in diameter. It was fabricated in Germany Leipzig on 10 november 1920.2015-01-10 15.57.25.jpg
The shaper is has 8" travel. Brand unknown.
Is there someone who knows the Brand?
It would sure help a lot finding the right motor for it.
2015-01-10 16.51.42.jpg
I found info about the shaper on the internet. It seems to be a Shape Rite 8"

2015-01-10 15.57.25.jpg 2015-01-10 16.51.42.jpg

Last edited:
yesterday I tested my first Reil burner, which will be used for melting alum and blacksmithing. I may need to make another one. Also, since this is only a test I need to make some adjustments with the burner for optimal burn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udfwzg1SSuI&list=UU20SgxuthVi6uIbuGCGKMsw

a few weeks ago I made a hex bar, AKA trap bar/deadlift bar, out of 2 spare Olympic bars I had, cutting the pieces with HF 14" cutoff and welding with my AC Marquette stick. Makes lifting a lot easier for this 57yrold, as far as my back goes. I posted it in the welding section but I don't think anyone saw it :)

DSC_9451.jpg

DSC_9451.jpg

A friend needed a special tool to remove the Shimano crank from his bicycle and couldn't buy one locally so came around and we had a go at making one. Quite a simple tool but required a M30 x 1 reverse thread and threading was something I haven't really done a lot, and never a reverse thread, so was something new to try.

As my lathe is imperial we had to go with a M30 x 26 TPI but worked out OK and did the job at hand.

IMG_4734s.jpg

IMG_4735s.jpg

A quick blackening and he can throw it in his tool box in case he needs it again in a couple of years.

IMG_4735s.jpg IMG_4734s.jpg

Last edited:
Back