2018 POTD Thread Archive

Made a sleeve adapter for the wheel balancer's cup (which was from a different model).

Parting it off, much easier to use the parting tool now after regrinding it and adding a hook, thanks for that tip on the previous page! :
41513759295_a726b823ee_z.jpg

40608284400_427ece4062_z.jpg

Chamfered on the bottom to aid in pressing it square into the cup:
40608283480_2d8a57939a_z.jpg

Pressed in place, works great!
41513758745_7a16f1a109_z.jpg

Last edited:
Your new doorstops look a lot more effective (and a lot less painful) than toes :)

Nice work!

Your new doorstops look a lot more effective (and a lot less painful) than toes :)

Nice work!

Thanks I did the first one on a whim. Then decided to make the rest of them. Definitely not a money making project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My latest batch of Barrel Bushings are done.
these are the turned blanks -

View attachment 268726

and after CNC profiling on my little bench top CNC mill, plus a few manual finishing ops -

View attachment 268727

Very nice.
I'm assuming that those are for resale and I'm curious about your market in the UK.
There are enough 1911 (and clone) owners in the UK to make it worth your while or do you export?
I've looked at the Wikipedia explanation of Firearms policy in the United Kingdom and don't see how to achieve legal possession of a 1911, even for target shooters. What am I missing?

Very nice.
I'm assuming that those are for resale and I'm curious about your market in the UK.
There are enough 1911 (and clone) owners in the UK to make it worth your while or do you export?
I've looked at the Wikipedia explanation of Firearms policy in the United Kingdom and don't see how to achieve legal possession of a 1911, even for target shooters. What am I missing?

A quick reminder that firearms laws, ownership etc should be limited to that of performing the act of gunsmith work. The question is fine but be careful not to let it get out of control or off topic.

Ray

Very nice. I'd love to see how you fixture them.

Ray

Thanks Ray, in the following photo you can see (just) an Aluminium Tooling Plate clamped to the table, the Collet Block bore has a stepped reduction allowing the use of a disc and a bolt to hold it down to a captive nut in the plate, the custom fixture in the foreground is then held in a collet and the blanks fasten with the screw and bush,
Regards,
Nick

GSGBushingsFixturing.jpg

What am I missing?

LBP, Long Barrelled Pistols, they come under Section 1, semi-auto is permitted in .22 Rimfire under Section 1, we got 1911s, but not as you know them ;-)

There is a UK market but I'm here for the machining as it's my hobby as well as a job, I'll sidestep any commercial answers as per forum rules,
Regards,
Nick

A quick reminder that firearms laws, ownership etc should be limited to that of performing the act of gunsmith work. The question is fine but be careful not to let it get out of control or off topic.

Ray

I'm not sure what you mean Ray but, I'm guessing you don't want (won't allow) the question to turn into a political or philosophical debate on gun control.

Debate isn't my intention at all. I'm just curious why a guy in England makes barrel bushings for 1911's. Or more specifically, who buys/uses them?

Back