2018 POTD Thread Archive

I built the dual grate cooker thinking someone cooking at events could do a pig on one in..chickens ..ribs on the other..I made it so I can cut in half .add another axle.ball coupler .have two ..last July 4th I could have sold 10..only had 2.

Last few weeks i've been buying some taper tooling in rusty state, so i decided to get them in sevicable order, i'm not worried about the dirt and rust on the cutting edges, they'll be clean after couple uses, so i focused on the tapers, i used wire brushes, metal files, sandpaper and got them in serviceable condition, this took alot of time and made me and my lathe very dirty.
DSC_0270.JPGDSC_0272.JPGDSC_0275.JPGDSC_0277.JPGDSC_0279.JPGDSC_0281.JPGDSC_0282.JPGDSC_0283.JPGDSC_0285.JPG

Today i had a quick little project, to do for a friend, this is a handle for feed of some type of boring machine, a friend of my got tired of hand feeding it, so he asked me if i can weld it and drill it to fit an stepper motor he bought, the end has a bigger hole than the shaft on the motor, so i mig weld it shut, chuck it up and faced it, sorry no photos until i started drilling it, and rimming it to size, one thing that surprised me, this thing is chrome plated and the chrome stayed intact.
DSC_0287.JPGDSC_0289.JPGDSC_0292.JPGDSC_0294.JPG

Made up a mount to repair our dresser that lost a handle support. I made a video of the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POTD was a “government job” for work. I’m a quality engineer at the Lansing Delta Township Assembly Plant where we make Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave models. We had a fit concern on the Buick where the cowl extension and cowl could gap to each other. The concern was contained with a piece of aggressive 2-sided tape. However, the tape was a pain for the folks on the floor as it stuck to their gloves when peeling off the backer, so went with an alternative containment with a couple of push pins into drilled holes.

Problem was the fixtures used to locate the drilled holes were made with no adjustability for dialing in the hole locations relative to each other. We ended up with misaligned holes which gave the folks on the floor sore thumbs pushing in the pins.

The extension attaches to the cowl with a couple of clips. Idea was to make a plate that would net to the clips for locating. The drill bushings would be in a block which is adjustable to the clip plate through a couple of over-sized bolt holes. Once the holes were dialed in, the clip plate and block would be pinned together.

Measured the clip locations on the extension and marked the locations on a plate of aluminum. Spotted, drilled and milled slots for the extension clips. Made the drive bushing holder from a block of aluminum.

Next, machined clearance holes in the clip plate for the extension drilling operation. Also drilled in a couple of over-sized holes for attaching the clip plate to the drill bushing block. I’m starting to warm up to my SDA laser center finder which projects a series of concentric circles. I’m able to hit better than 0.007” to center, really goes quickly with the laser as compared to an indicator sweep or co-ax indicator. I didn’t show the operations, but attached a wood block to the bottom of the fixture for screwing to a hinge on the rework table.

The drill bushings were made from a length of 1” drill rod. Turned a shoulder, drilled a rough center hole and reamed to size (clearance for a 12 mm drill bit). Then bored the hole to size and added a lead-in for the drill bit with a MT2 reamer. Hardened them on the weld bench with an oxyacetylene torch and oil quench.

In use, an extension is clipped to the fixture, then swung down to a board for drilling. Ran a few parts and tweaked the alignment before drilling a couple of 1/8” dowel pin holes to lock the clip plate and drill bushing block to each other.

Works great by the way. Folks on the floor are happily going home without sore thumbs, plus the fit of the extension to the cowl is spot on.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

3042.jpeg
20180602_170051.jpg
20180602_172222.jpg
20180602_181317.jpg
20180603_115941.jpg
20180603_120747.jpg
20180603_125510.jpg
20180603_135920.jpg
20180603_162223.jpg
20180603_162302.jpg
3044.jpeg
3045.jpeg

Nice Bruce- that lools like real fun!
Robert

Thank You for sharing this Bruce, to me is interesting to see how problems are fixed at a corporate level. I also work in the automotive sector and see problems like this take mounts to be fixed.

Back