2018 POTD Thread Archive

LBP, Long Barrelled Pistols, they come under Section 1, semi-auto is permitted in .22 Rimfire under Section 1, we got 1911s, but not as you know them ;-)

There is a UK market but I'm here for the machining as it's my hobby as well as a job, I'll sidestep any commercial answers as per forum rules,
Regards,
Nick

Thank you Nick.

I'm not sure what you mean Ray but, I'm guessing you don't want (won't allow) the question to turn into a political or philosophical debate on gun control.

Debate isn't my intention at all. I'm just curious why a guy in England makes barrel bushings for 1911's. Or more specifically, who buys/uses them?

Yes, don't misunderstand, I love gunsmith work and do a lot of it. The issue of ownership rules in other countries and legal issues pertaining to ownership can easily get out of control so, I was just reminding folks in-advance to keep it in bounds of the website rules.

Ray

I attended an auction a couple of days ago, purchased some tools.
1) one by thirty small belt sander, generic, has the name EXCEL on it, but looks a lot like many other brands. Works fine, I'll need to make a new table for it, this one wobbles and won't tip up as far as I'd like.
2) No. 750 SP Drill Doctor. Used some, needed cleaning, works a treat. It has all the bells and whistles, from 3/32 to 3/4 inches. 118 and 135 degree points, split point, all work. I may need a new diamond band soon.
3) a 3 1/2" Columbian vise. It had been not well treated, hardly used. I gave it what we used to call a DuPont Rebuild, in other words, a new paint job. I also filed the rough points of the mating surfaces. Here's a picture of it in it's place of honor. Oh. bye the way, these cost me a total of $50.00.

View attachment 268834

I've retired the Harbor Freight vice it replaced and looking forward to many years of trouble free use.

A piece of White oak, 5/16 hot rolled plate and a slice of 2” round stock. Hot rolled also I believe. Made up the new hand wheel for my 5c closer. When I got the lathe there was only a piece of 1/2 round through the end of the tube with a collar and set screw capturing it to the tube.

I cut a rough disk out of the plate, turned and bored it. Then took the slug of 2” round turned a shoulder down on one end to a press fit into the plate. Pressed them together then finish turned Andy bored for a press fit onto the tube. I turned the oak on my wood lathe drilled and tapped for 5-16/18. Drilled holes in the oak. Finally it was finish assembled.

I think it’s going to work out great. Plus it doesn’t freak me out. Like the 1/2 rod doing the helicopter.
DD046B49-4D63-4B89-8557-BB9B8A61EBE3.jpeg3AA30178-4AED-42BD-991E-F6B09BE35DCE.jpegD7467533-45AE-4818-911F-114F8AF1A203.jpegCFB03375-29BF-48D1-A21F-F80466B602A6.jpegD875577E-B32A-468A-9F16-E9B3B68082AA.jpeg
Thanks for looking. Cheers,Mike

Interesting wheel(s). Is that one o' them thar "limited service spares"? Bet they're easy to come by at a junk yard, and not too expensive. Great idea!

Dose that one have a fire box on it ? Looks good

Both sides have slide out wood/charcoal trays under grates behind adjustable doors..yes on space saver spare tires..they last a long time on a cooker.they are cheaper than car tires..have one salvage yard I buy from.dig thru lots of trunks full of crap to get them..try to get 10-20 per visit..image.jpegguys use the wood trays as the fire box..

Back