2018 POTD Thread Archive

This could be one of projects where you go "Really? You spent how long on that?...".

When I got my shaper the stand as well as the whole motor drive assembly was kind of screwy. I ended up rebuilding the whole thing and designed a new drive that incorporated a kind of clutch (slack belt -- tight belt for either disengaging or engaging the stroke) as well as a strokes-per-minute indicator. But I never got around to making a scale for the indicator part. Finally, two years later, I got around to making one.

The machine itself has a nice looking, cast aluminum scale for indicating length of stroke so I decided to emulate that. My other choice was a painted label to match some of the other original badging on the stand, and that still may be the nicer way down the road. But for now I went with the aluminum version.

image.jpeg

I wanted to mimic the look of the cast original, so I laid out out the pattern in AutoCAD, glued it to to a scrap of 1/8" aluminum, and proceeded to relieve all of the background using a dental burr in my hand held Dremel tool. Hmmm, this will take some time....

image.jpeg

Actually it didn't take that long, a few hours over two evenings and it was all over. I wasn't worried about the background looking uneven -- I kind of wanted that actually, a little on the random side like a sand casting. There is, however, a great tendency to try to "just tune up the numbers a little" once the paper pattern is removed. Resist this at all costs, it will only lead to grief. If you haven't cut the shapes nicely with the pattern to guide you, there isn't a hope in hell you will improve it without!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was also going to colour the background red like the original but I'm not so sure any more. The scale shows up enough the way it is, and it's just meant as a loose guide to know roughly where the speed is at anyway. So I think I'll leave it like this for a while and see what happens down the road. Some other brainwave will come along, I'm sure.

image.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

-frank

My son and I head out to the National Forest to shoot, and have always used pop cans or other junk for targets. We decided we needed
a proper target stand that we could take with us.

DSCF7376.jpg

The base is welded up 2" square steel tube with carriage bolts for "feet". The wooden parts just pull straight up out of the stand for loading in
the van. All we have to do now is make sure we don't ping the stand with stray rounds!

Last edited:
Weld some heavy angle iron to the vertical stand portions to help with low bullet strikes.

You probably correct, just don't loan it out. :encourage:

Good point Randy. My son, who's 21, is a very safe, solid shooter. The stand is more than 5' high, so we'd have to be shooting
pretty low to ping the steel.

made a boring head ball turner using the 2" boring head I got in a trade with Extropic (thanks again!). not an original idea, but figured that it would be fun. I can also use the boring head in the mill as it has a 5/8" straight shank which is the largest size my ER25 chuck will take.

3yCgG9.jpg

Kk2YtC.jpg

1Rlsoc.jpg

4N7mJM.jpg

tool holder idea was stolen straight from mksj :)
lvpQxv.jpg

IjhHfv.jpg

p26r8v.jpg

nEOoDr.jpg

Had me going there for a minute with the insert. You're using it as a shearing tool.

Back