2018 POTD Thread Archive

trust me it looks weird, but it cuts in the normal orientation. Took me some time to get my head around, but the cutter orientation to the work is the same as the compound swivel type ball cutters just with the axis of rotation across the bed instead of coming up through it. If I were to advance the tool along the work like a normal turning tool it would definitely be in shear, but as a ball turner it's just right.

Didn't make anything but I did need to use the mill really quick.

Installed new front suspension on my truck & new inner fender seals. Old coilovers were shot as well as the upper ball joints. Needed to modify one of the dies for the ball joint tool.

Old
20180613_093140.jpg

20180613_093222.jpg

New
20180613_181320.jpg

20180613_125921.jpg

20180613_181350.jpg

20180613_201618.jpg

20180613_105048.jpg

20180613_110140.jpg

Yoiu're kidding about a rebuild? That's a new mill?
I note your tool storage along the right side, Nice.

Terry- Are you acknowledging that you stole your wife's cutting boards? Proceed with caution. Nice work.
Robert

lol... I actually ordered my own. :grin:

Very productive weekend:

Made a coil in a lathe and recorded a small video

And since I was with cam on hand, showed my leadscrew reverser too

On welding department, I've made a motorcycle clutch holding tool
42144523764_4562ef358c.jpg

This could be one of projects where you go "Really? You spent how long on that?...".

When I got my shaper the stand as well as the whole motor drive assembly was kind of screwy. I ended up rebuilding the whole thing and designed a new drive that incorporated a kind of clutch (slack belt -- tight belt for either disengaging or engaging the stroke) as well as a strokes-per-minute indicator. But I never got around to making a scale for the indicator part. Finally, two years later, I got around to making one.

The machine itself has a nice looking, cast aluminum scale for indicating length of stroke so I decided to emulate that. My other choice was a painted label to match some of the other original badging on the stand, and that still may be the nicer way down the road. But for now I went with the aluminum version.

View attachment 269498

I wanted to mimic the look of the cast original, so I laid out out the pattern in AutoCAD, glued it to to a scrap of 1/8" aluminum, and proceeded to relieve all of the background using a dental burr in my hand held Dremel tool. Hmmm, this will take some time....

View attachment 269499

Actually it didn't take that long, a few hours over two evenings and it was all over. I wasn't worried about the background looking uneven -- I kind of wanted that actually, a little on the random side like a sand casting. There is, however, a great tendency to try to "just tune up the numbers a little" once the paper pattern is removed. Resist this at all costs, it will only lead to grief. If you haven't cut the shapes nicely with the pattern to guide you, there isn't a hope in hell you will improve it without!

View attachment 269500
View attachment 269501

I was also going to colour the background red like the original but I'm not so sure any more. The scale shows up enough the way it is, and it's just meant as a loose guide to know roughly where the speed is at anyway. So I think I'll leave it like this for a while and see what happens down the road. Some other brainwave will come along, I'm sure.

View attachment 269502

Thanks for looking!

-frank
Hi Frank,

Obviously no wasted time on your part at all. Perfectly dresses out your shaper. You'll smile every time you use it and look at the plaque. Very nice job. Your work is probably close to how the original pattern was made.

Bruce

Back