2018 POTD Thread Archive

A power flush commode :laughing: is that a water saving device, or a no plunger needed device?
I’ve never herd of one

Back in 98 when we built our home, I wanted to keep from over watering our septic system so I opted for these toilets. I had previously experienced water saving toilets (1.5 GPF) that required multiple flushes to evacuate brown trouto_O. I couldn't understand the point of these water saving toilets that required 3 gallons to do the job or plunging for that matter. Yea, these babies get er done. I do warn visitors when they use the restroom of the violent flush.:congratulate:
These use 1.6 GPF. I'm sure they are common these days, back in 98 they cost a pretty penny. FWIW, I'v never plunged a toilet or required a "honey dipper" at our home. I do flush a septic treatment monthly to keep the enzymes active and happy.

Electric toilet...who knew???
Robert

I had two POTD and wanted to share incase someone else had similar issues. The firs POTD was to replace a vacuum breaker (leaking after 20 years) on a flush-mate power flush toilet (shop toilet).

The part ( BU100505-K) was found on Amazon for $8.95 (OEM). To replace the entire system would have ran $150-170ish. Amazon is amazing!
View attachment 270499
View attachment 270497
The second POTD was to replace the intermediate steering shaft bearing on our 05 GMC 2500HD. This has been on my radar for some time now.
I also found the part on Amazon for under $20. The OEM bearing (white) fails fairly quickly resulting in a clunk when turning over uneven road surfaces. A very common problem found on 2000-2010 GM rigs.

The part Doorman 905-512 (green).
View attachment 270500
The bearing indexes into the outer upper steering column outer tube.
A very tight fit but it does slip over the upper steering shaft. Light silicone grease was applied on the ID of the new bearing.
View attachment 270501
Tip: Lash your steering wheel to prevent over rotation that can damage your function switches. Also lash in a position that allows a straight shot to the bolt head.
View attachment 270503
New bearing installed. Notice the easy access to the bolt. With the steering wheel in the neutral position, the bolt head is 90º agents the bracket to the top of the photo.
View attachment 270502
Amazon is amazing, fast cheap and convenient.

Turn and burn,
Paco

Thanks for sharing. I need to do this on my 06 GMC. How long did it take to do the repair?

Electric toilet...who knew???
Robert
Hey Robert,
not electric, it stores the incoming water pressure via pressure tank (check valve), the porcelain tank remains dry.

Thanks for sharing. I need to do this on my 06 GMC. How long did it take to do the repair?

Took me about an hour to complete. Remember to use a little grease or alike on the inside where the shaft slides on and secure your steering wheel. its a tight fit to get started but it does fit.

My tool grinder needed a new traversing crank wheel. Originally it had a cheap lever type arm that had to get reindexed depending on where you were on table. Terrible design as you had to have a tool on hand for a simple task, and you would keep maring the shaft wrenching on hold down screw.
All stuff was on hand I have a bunch of aluminum blanks from all the smelting of aluminum I do. The handle on the wheel let's see if one can figure out what it's original purpose was? Every man has used many times in his life???
Works great just deciding if I want to practice a intricate spoke design? Original lever is above its replacement.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Looks like jrstech nailed it. I have a bunch of them. Work was throwing out. They are solid brass chrome plated. I’ll take em! Jrstech you get a gold star!;)

Back