2018 POTD Thread Archive

Today i wanted to finish with the installation on my car's stereo, it come with an reversing camera so i decided to install it, run the wire under the carpet to the trunk. Then i had to choose where to mount it, i chose to cut out a piece of the licence plate holder and glue it with windscreen adhesive, there was a hole in the bumper to run the cables thru , also found a empty gramet to bring the plugs in the trunk, from there should be easy as connecting to reverse light but my reversing lights decided to stop working. so i spent half an hour checking fuses wires connectors, on this car i've done an engine conversion from v6 petrol to an turbo diesel also used to be automatic now is an manuel so i've been thru the wiring to make it all work and found out the switch on transmission is defective. I'm a person who has two spare parts of everything, the first gearbox i went to, this switch was broken the second one was from a much older model and has different connector, so i cut off the connector and crimp new ones after insulating all the connections with row rubber to make them weathertight i put everything together and works nicly.
DSC_0277.JPGDSC_0279.JPGDSC_0284.JPGDSC_0288.JPG

Apparently these PBR Lathes are few and far between.
So far, I have not found another in the U.S.

Be_Zero_Be

Finished up a small grill.cooking surface 23"X 15.5".made out of a stainless bum warmer (maybe)..was butt ugly so put 3 coats heat proof paint on it..has legs so can unbolt and set on table or whatever .if not gone to a new home in couple days gonna keep and use like post above..Happy 4th..

Made 20 pcs nylon nose cone a customer needed. It’s lathe job for sure but not my idea of “fun” turning cranks for that many on my manual machine. Since I don’t have a cnc lathe I tried a sample on my Tormach mill using circle interpolation. I was pleasantly surprised it held diameter tolerance, roundness and concentricity within reason.
Used my little 3” chi-com chuck mounted on a plate in the vise.
3b83946d6d11ec2171f05b4f48d4b2ec.jpg
2fa1f3c92ea89bfabc2bd8059fda933e.jpg

Just a small project. I had seen and previously built some of these, but had some issues (length of wire, taking spent brass through TSA, etc) :

I made some new ones using un-spent, un-primed, nickel-plated brass cartridge casings. I also used some 1/8 brass rod, turned down and faced appropriately, to act as fake primers. Note that un-spent casings are a little too tight on the drivers. You will see the driver housing on the left, and how it is mangled. It was too tight. I had to put a slight bevel in the casing's inside edge, plus make the aluminum rod with a hole in it to press it on without crushing the housing. I think they turned out okay :
IMG_7579.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

Back