2018 POTD Thread Archive

Burnerd logo printed out and applied:
2805E525-82FC-418C-BB5D-B1F8300D1400.jpegDECAC3B8-BAF9-4E45-81A0-36F8AFFB7AE9.jpeg
Small adapter turned to fit the led light fitting onto the arm I made up for the deckel
F913BA41-6A26-4D78-B759-B39D0F209BB8.jpeg7EA8727E-5770-4F0B-A499-BFC35AE17AA6.jpeg
Lamp screws in one side, then it’s a slip fit over the aluminium tube, secured with an M3 grub screw. Just the electrics to do on it, and the grinder should be finished.

Mostly stood around and watched. Need to do some work on the thumb of this excavator for Kelly, so Johny said we may as well get the dirt work done for your car port while its here. Had to take out a few trees down the side of the shop, actually just broke them off with the excavator then dug the stumps out. There was a lot of rock where the footings need to go, so we dug it out entirely, will put in the forms and back fill around them.
IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

Good to have freinds with big toys. Kelly has a mini excavator, this one about 8 tons, one around 20 ton and a masive 35 ton one, could drive the front of my pickup in its bucket.

Greg

Just knocked out a quick ladder rack on my work truck..... I used 1/8" 1"x1" square tube and 1/4" angle iron
20180625_210826.jpg
The back 3 bars are removable just incase another machine tool decides to follow me home.
20180625_210834.jpg
I have it attached with 8 1/2"-13 bolts.....
20180627_094613.jpg

Last edited:
No machining or welding but shop time non the less.

In preparation for a upcoming haul to CA, I decided to upgrade a few items. The first was to service the rear differential and upgrade to a deeper cover that adds about 2.5 more quarts of gear oil. The cover also has heat sinks both internally as well as externally. I host a magnetic drain plug, magnetic fill/dip plug, two threaded ports for pyrometer application and a large sight glass. The sealing surface is grooved for an O-ring seal.

The second upgrade has been on my radar for quite some time. The rig tends to squat when towing either trailer we have. Both trailers are rated to 14K and have considerable tongue weight. The worst being the 20" flatbed. Air-lift springs where added to the rear axel. 4" spacers where also utilized due to the 6" suspension lift the rig is running.

The last upgrade will include a larger Allison 1000 oil cooler and deep oil pan. The last time I hauled to CA, I encountered slightly elevated tranny temp (250ºF). The larger cooler and pan should drop this considerably.

Found this deal for $318 it included 6 quarts of full synthetic 75W-90 API-GL5. It seems Dodge rigs share the same cover as the GMC of the same era.
IMG_3589.JPG
IMG_3590.JPG
After preheating the O-ring (outside) I was able to insert it into the groove without hassle. Arizona temps are good for something:p.
IMG_3591.JPG
A shot of the sight glass (passengers side). Notice the plug inboard of the sight glass, The second one is located at the top centered behind the filler/dip plug. The SS cap screws, washers, plugs and small brackets come with the kit.
IMG_3592.JPG
I been using AFE products for a while and have not had issues with quality thus far.

The Air sprig upgrade is Load lifter 5000 Ultimate series (kit 88275) with internal Jounce. The spacers used where 4" with 4º angle to keep the bags aligned. With the 6" Fabtech suspension lift, the rear block are only 4" to level the rig properly. Most guys simply use 2" leveling kits and call it good. I have always been a GM enthusiast but their rigs are too low from the get go so I opted to raise this one back when I purchased it new. I have not had issues and the rig drives straight with normal tire wear. I will need to upgrade the upper A arms eventually as they are at the max adjustment at this point. Thats another post.

Pre-assembling the kit. All painted brackets are powder coated, air line press in fittings are SS.
IMG_3613.JPG
Nice to have a lift for this job, The manual estimated the job to take longer that it took.
Used large floor jacks to push up the axel sag for final alignment and torque.
This shot shows axel in full sag with bags installed.
IMG_3615.JPG
This shows rig on the floor with bags in slight compression (passengers side).
IMG_3616.JPG
Drivers side.
IMG_3617.JPG
The two Schrader valves are located under the rear bumper. I already have an onboard compressor and tank so that saved me some $.
I found I needed 7 PSI more for the drivers side to level out the rig (statically). I suspect the offset spare tire is the couplet.
The ride with 14PSI (passenger) and 21PSI to the drivers side made no noticeable difference. Air lift recommends a minimum of 5PSI at all times.
The only time I will deflate completely is when the rig will be serviced and raised on lift. I don't like the strain on the bags from the axel sag. Air lift states this does not pose a problem so long as its not prolonged. The Air springs have a lifetime warrantee.

The Schrader valves.
IMG_3614.JPG
All done!
IMG_3618.JPG
Stay safe out there!

Paco

Very worthwhile upgrades. I see you have the air horns out the back, do you have them out the front also?

Very worthwhile upgrades. I see you have the air horns out the back, do you have them out the front also?
God No! The three ( locomotive style) pointing to the rear is plenty @153db. Pointing them to the rear keeps the road grime out and helps clear those pesky cyclists that insist on riding four abreast on a two lane road with double yellow center lines despite the generous bike lane they can use. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like they way you think!!!

Back