2019 POTD Thread Archive

Today i had a project to do on the lathe, i needed to make a small flange from a very hard steel, it is for some high heat machine, and must be made from this casting, this job has been to two other machinest who could not machine it, i had to switch inserts and tools thill i could find a combo that worked, it is some thigh steel must be 5-60 rockwell, the lathe handle it with ease.

Today i got a call from a shipping company, the men on the line said you've got some plastics from russia come and get them and hanged up the phone, i had to call him back and ask for what company is he working and where are they located. About a week and a half ago i order a set of aftermarket wheel well liners, because new lada's even today come without liners from the factory and rust immediately. I test fit ed one, and checked for cracks, but they are made from a rubbery plastic very crudely made, i also ordered a set of bushings for the entire rear suspension, this should help protect it from rusting and prolong the life of the little Niva.

Out of the woodshop . My son bought a 4 Runner and wanted a storage / sleeping arrangement for the back for camping . Both sons worked together making this project . Looks good to me . :encourage: My job was plio-bonding the carpet to the hinged deck . It was nice to see the 2 working together and see the woodshop tools in action . Getting pictures soon as to what is left at that shop , I'm moving that up and moving the metal stuff down .

Notice the 37 Gerstner box for a sawhorse :grin:

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

Made some progress over the last couple of days with the brush attachment I'm making for my Husqvarna walkbehind mower. Made the frame of the "adapter", and the mount for the jackshaft that reduces the speed of the brush a bit relative to engine-speed.

I may have to move the mount for the jackshaft behind the motor instead (or just move it further back a couple of inches), as the belt diagram for the brush shows the belt is twisted, and I don't think the jackshaft pulley will line up particularly well with the brushes, and everything is closer together now than it would be on a JD L110).
But we'll see. I'll work on getting the brush attached to this frame first, and then see how the belts work out

Today i've been hard at work in the big garage, making patch panel and welding on the little Niva, i focused on the drivers wing and finish welded all the outside holes and grounded them back i left the rocker panel hole opened, because i'll need to cut some more material out because the entire inside and bottom is rusted out, i took a hammer pry bar and an angle grinder and peel back the layers of beer cans and other pieces of metal that someone has glued on top to mask all the rust and i've opened my self an full day of work more but i'm glad because this is a structural piece of the unibody and needs to be strong in case of an accident i'll also be looking for a new spring seat, because is an bolt on item if is available i'll change them on both sides because is so rusted that the bump stop had rusted off and is sitting inside the spring. Today was a dirty and exhausting day in the garage plus my brother called his Ford broke down again and his mechanic told him " Ford - i'm im not that desperate for work now, take it somewhere else" so i'll probably end up fixing it soon.

Today I finally completed my Harold Hall advanced grinding rest. I started this a very long time ago but kept getting sidetracked with other things. Just so you know I'm not lying, here are some pics.

First one is showing the HH lining tool used to engrave the graduated dial. Man that thing is slick.

A close up of the engraving marks. You can see there are 4 short lines, then a medium, then 4 shorts and then a long. All automatically stepped around the dial. 40 graduations in total.

Third one showing a bunch of the parts in a drawer.

and the finished product.

What I really like about this is........... it's all made from rusty junk yard steel.

Today i spent half a day in the small garage, fixing my brother's car, looks like he was doing dukes of hazzard jumping and destroyed a wheel bearing, and his entire septrin belt system, broken power steering pump, snapped belt, egg shaped water pump pulley and broke both tensenters, had to replace lots of parts remove couple of snapped bolts, also snapped and stripped couple of bolts. Seams Ford saved money on hardware also some of their design are ridiculous. I was in a hurry to finish it also my hands were covered in oil from the broken power steering pump so i did not take any pictures, however i also started another project on the lathe, started with the rusty end of some 4140 steel i need to make a large flange nut for a machine, i drill the inside to depth of 85mm, then i had to hand threaded it because my drill chuck was sliping the M24 tap is really hard to turn by this point i was very tired and finished for the day.

Today I finally completed my Harold Hall advanced grinding rest. I started this a very long time ago but kept getting sidetracked with other things. Just so you know I'm not lying, here are some pics.

First one is showing the HH lining tool used to engrave the graduated dial. Man that thing is slick.
View attachment 289238

A close up of the engraving marks. You can see there are 4 short lines, then a medium, then 4 shorts and then a long. All automatically stepped around the dial. 40 graduations in total.
View attachment 289239

Third one showing a bunch of the parts in a drawer.
View attachment 289240

and the finished product.
View attachment 289241

What I really like about this is........... it's all made from rusty junk yard steel.
Would love to see a video of it in action.

Regards,
Terry

Would love to see a video of it in action.

Regards,
Terry

I assume you're talking about the line engraving tool. If so here is a video made by the inventor, Harold Hall.

If you Google "Harold Hall" you can visit his website. There is a huge amount of information there and a bunch of videos. I've spent a lot of time there.

Back