2020 POTD Thread Archive

It only took me a couple years to finally get it installed!

-brino
I'll get the quote a little wrong but you'll get the point. The sign on my father-in-law's shop door says, "When a man says he'll do something, the woman does not need to remind him of it every six months".

Bruce

@brino - Maybe a bit late, but a great addition nevertheless. I LOVE paddle switches, and have them on almost all my machines. Even figured out a way to make my own from a Decora light switch: https://rick.sparber.org/ssw.pdf Rick is a forum member and was kind enough to "host" my article on his website.
Honestly, the only E-stops I like are ones that are used to control the machine. If you stop with the E-stop like a switch and reset it every time, you get used to using the stop as a machine control. Then it's natural to reach for it. Not all machines are set up this way, but if the E-stop is only used for emergency stops it isn't on your radar when you need it. At that point it may as well be just another bolt head on your machine.
<and in another post>
On my mill, the stop button is used to stop the motor all the time, not just in emergencies. So in an emergency, slamming the red mushroom is the natural thing to do, because that's how the mill is stopped every time.
An absolute +1 on that! Use it every time, and you'll use it when in a hurry.

OK, I do have separate E-stop mushroom buttons on my 240 volt tools, deliberately located on the "other end" of the machine from the normal (usually paddle) machine stop. But they're located that way "just in case" something bad is happening near the normal stop switch (like the classic long rod in a lathe spindle, that suddenly turns into a steel flail).

And one more thing......finished my wood bandsaw to metal cutting with addition of a 50-1 gear reducer and a chain/sprocket final drive. Works fantastic!

I finally finished refurbishing my grandfather’s vise. Today I installed the new, bigger jaws I made. I just need to get some decent quality wood screws to mount it to my bench (The first ones I got from the hardware store were crap and twisted in half during the install ).

Attachments

• 5F4C4EBA-7046-4B3C-A757-63F6A523B2F8.jpeg
    5F4C4EBA-7046-4B3C-A757-63F6A523B2F8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Got up this morning and checked out Tools on Craigslist. A Sprunger radial drill press for $125 caught my eye. Ever hear of this brand?

A phone call and a 15 minute trip and it was in my shop!
Excellent condition.....
IMG_20201218_150428446.jpg
IMG_20201218_150227991.jpg

But I simply can't leave thing like this alone......four hours later it now looks like this....

IMG_20201218_191629538.jpg
IMG_20201218_191620563.jpg

Painted the motor too. It's drying. Will mount tomorrow and try it out

I finally finished refurbishing my grandfather’s vise. Today I installed the new, bigger jaws I made. I just need to get some decent quality wood screws to mount it to my bench (The first ones I got from the hardware store were crap and twisted in half during the install ).
Very nice vise! Might I suggest through-bolts? In my experience, if you do any significant amount of torqueing, screws might not be sufficient.

Regards

Back