2020 POTD Thread Archive

After a few cold nights we had about 4 inches of ice on the pond so launched (placed) the windmill.
Cut a hole for the propeller to go through, then attached the mill above.
IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

But a totally calm day so no action. lol
IMG_0594.jpg

Greg

Have an upcoming project I need some small gears for, 32 DP. Can't find reasonably priced Chinese sets for that pitch. Saw an a post somewhere, maybe here? About using a straight cut hob. Thought I'd give it a try.
Made the hob from what I think / hope was O1 I had in the bin.
Used 14 1/2 degree pressure angle, as an acme thread gauge works to check the cutter and align it. Cut the profile on the lathe then the gashes on the mill, relieved the tops at about a 5 degree angle.

IMG_4428.jpg

Hardened it and gave it a try.
On this 32 tooth gear the center cutter goes to depth and the two cutters on either side are shaping the top of the tooth. Seams to mesh well with another gear but need to make a depthing tool to truly check the engagement.
IMG_4436.jpg

Thanks for looking

Greg

F350ca Question from South of you. What is the reason for circulating the pond water in the winter?

Is the idea that it pulls up warmer water from the bottom?
Robert

This pond has a small creek coming in and out so probably would get enough aeration on its own. If a pond freezes over totally the fish and rotting plant matter will use up all the oxygen and of course the fish winter kill.
Kelly was also told that bringing the warmer water off the bottom will promote growth in the fish during the winter when they get pretty dormant. The court is still out on that one but we'll go along with it for now.
He also wants an air pump built for that conventional wind mill in the background.

Greg

in the spring when the ice melts I guess you will have to go back out and anchor it in place to keep it from floating the lee shore. Overall looks cool.

Already have a rope over to the two shores to hold it there, the wind light blow it sideways on the ice right now lol

Greg

Back