2020 POTD Thread Archive

I didn't DO anything in the shop today but I UNdid something. My much loved HP OfficeJet L7580 finally bit the dust after 13 yrs of service.

Screenshot_2020-07-29 HP Officejet Pro L7550 All-in-One Printer (C8195A) Ink Toner Supplies.png

I was actually on the beta test team for this printer so I had $0 invested and had only recently run out of black ink for it. It had been struggling for a number of months so rather than buy another expensive ink cartridge I just put the huge beast out of it's misery. Took a number of hours to disassemble and I was surprised to see that it was mostly screwed together and not snap together like every other piece of electronic equipment is these days.

I guess if I were into robots I would have hit a big jackpot as this thing had to have at least 100 gears! But I got quite an assortment of steel rods, some small machine screws, an assortment of springs and some other odds and ends. I also got some odd brass bar stock that was siliconed together in a sliding tray that was attached to the belt drive for the print heads. Perhaps some sort of damper?

20200729_160235.jpg

Those bends look fairly precise. What did you use to make them?

thanks - I used a 10t hydraulic press, a little bending jig and a protractor
IMG_9014.JPG
took the end plate off, that was for something else.

Funny story - we did the bottom bend first so that the shifter rod wouldn't hit the seat, but after we installed it we realised that his right arm wasn't long enough to get it into 5th while staying seated, so we did the top bend to bring it back a touch :)

I was actually on the beta test team for this printer so I had $0 invested and had only recently run out of black ink for it. It had been struggling for a number of months so rather than buy another expensive ink cartridge I just put the huge beast out of it's misery.
Small world. I worked at ICO in Corvallis for a bunch of years. Your cartridge was probably prototyped, and the original manufacturing line run in Corvallis. I was on the R&D/proto team for several printheads. I also beta tested an HP inkjet printer. Great times, way back then!

Dang it feels good to be a gangster...
1a79q1.jpg

Yeeeee-Haaaaa! Reminds me of the time a couple of engineers from our site were asked to demo the robot/tank they's built for the TV show, BattleBots - IIRC, it was called "Triceratank." The occasion was at an onsite picnic. They'd set up an "arena" of hay bales. Their "opponent" was a competitor's printer, which they proceeded to demolish, to the great delight of the audience members.

A second demo was scheduled for Second Shift's picnic a few days later, but 9/11 happened before it could take place.

Ever since I bought the Jet drill press 30+ years ago the OEM depth stop has been an annoyance.

A couple of threaded collars that had to be laboriously screwed up and down the threaded depth stop shaft - and having it calibrated in inches was pretty useless as it's just not practical to zero the drill bit on the workpiece and then set the depth. Much easier to either measure or eyeball where you want the drill process to end and set from there. But still, no quick way to get it set. Two threaded collars. Ugh.

DrillPressDepthGauge_1.jpg

So, after years of this annoyance I spend $4.50 plus change on a 'Quick Quill Stop BRIDGEPORT MILL MILLING MACHINE !"' from Shars. Quickly clamps onto the all-thread and as quickly repositioned rather than a bunch of screwing around.

Jet was Metric, Bridgeport is 1/2-20 Imperial - so off to the auto parts store for a piece of appropriate all-thread and two jam nuts, cut the all-thread to length, pull off the casting that supported the OEM depth gauge, drill it out to fit the new gauge and fit the new one to it.

DrillPressDepthGauge_2.jpg

A half hour's work and I've ended multiple years of repetitive minor annoyance. Good enough for a project of the day.

Have fun and stay safe!

Stu

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." - George Orwell

Great stuff, Stu!!! That's less than half the price of an equivalent item I've been using - pushbutton nuts from McMaster-Carr. Thanks!
https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/ ... 98150A150 $10.71

PS - Shars must have seen your post, realized there'd be an increasd demand, and raised their price to $6.85 :(

Back